Water heater craining

Is it really worth the hassle to drain the water heater once a year to remove sedement? 40gal nat gas. It hasn't been done for at least 2 yrs.

Reply to
bigjcw1023

Yes if it's building up sediment because the buildup chokes off the water around the lower heating element and then the element burns out. Mines done that twice. However, I read that if you run them at a lower temp they don't get nearly as much scale so after the last time I turned the temp down and then have not drained it in a couple years and it's not burned out again (yet).

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Hmmm, NG heater has element? If your water is hard, yes.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

if you opt to drain be ready for a drain valve leak espically if the tank has a plastic valve. non ball valves often clog so you cant get sediment out.

My tank gets drained once at its end of life, on its way to curb. tanks are pretty cheap and not worth the hassles of messing with

Reply to
hallerb

Missed that part. I've never bothered draining a gas heater and have had them last 20+ years in the same town where electric ones will burn up an element in as little as two years.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Anyone have any luck getting the crap out of the bottom? How?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I open the drain and take out the lower element (after the water has drained out) and run a long screwdriver inside thru the element hole to bust up the crap. Then let water in to flush it out. Usually have to do it over and over again.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher