Reface particle board cabinet with area "fluffed" by water?

kitchen cabinets are ugly and almost black in color. we're thinking of refacing (with new doors), but this one damaged area needs special prep; it's below the sink:

53kb
version:

it's still sturdy, so shouldn't need to be cut out and new 1x spliced in for strength.

Darkish blotches remind me that, years ago, we gave this edge a coat of brown paint, but the edge has since been scratched by fingernails. I think even without the scratching, water would still have soaked it.

right now, i'd guess this would be best prep: sand off the swollen high spots. something that can soak into the particle board porousness, to firm it up? otherwise primer, to seal "plastic" wood filler (not the water-based patch), sand. fill and sand until good. probably prime again to seal (all around, including inner side of cabinet front)

then apply refacing "veneer"

so yes, a question, is there a better way?

TIA

Reply to
Choise76Smu

I am not sure what the picture is showing me. Do your cupboards have a face frame made with particle board covered with vinyl? I think I would just pull off the doors and face frames and then install new face frames and doors.

Reply to
Pat

If it is on the bottom, you may just want to put some wood grained contact paper over it to match your new cabinet faces. My home desk was rather small so I cut a piece of plywood 30 Inches by 60 inches to place on my much smaller desk top. I then put some contact paper over it. I did this two four years ago and it still looks good.

Pat

Reply to
komobu

"Pat" in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

yes.

hmm, i'll check how well the faces are attached. if well glued, i'd expect the joined area to turn to crumbles.

the cabinets are a mix individual cabinets and multiple-cabinet subassemblies (manufactured in a large batch for apartment complex which was later converted to condos)

Reply to
Choise76Smu

Can you cut out the piece of crap wood and put in a piece of real wood in it's place?

Reply to
scott21230

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

that's what i was expecting be my second choice - screws and glue/adhesive. i'd use a piece temporarily clamped across front surface to prevent the new piece from being recessed vs cabinet front. then smooth with plastic wood procedure, seal, etc.

Reply to
Choise76Smu