recessed lighting? no thank you

some recessed lighting is absolutely horrendous in design

have notice some that are ic rated (supposedly okay to come in contact with insulation) yet they have: - holes in the housing (fiberglass dust, carcinogenic, from the attic can pass right through them, as well as other types of harmful to human dust which accumulates in attics) - fiberglass placed INSIDE the housing (exposed to the interior of the home) by the manufacturer

few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the attic to enter the house, yet this is what is done when some recessed lights are installed

supposedly even the air tight recessed housings are not 100% air tight between the living area and the attic

Reply to
effi

Effi,

You need to get some counseling. Your constant harping about cancer and cancer causing materials has become worrisome.

Reply to
Matt

bubble boy is back :)

Reply to
bill a

contact with

Should there not be a vapour barrier anywhere there is thermal insulation, such as the ceiling under an attic? Even IC-rated devices do not provide a vapour barrier, but are supposed to be compatible with one when properly installed. (Possibly you need to get a specific vapour barrier that matches the fixture.) The vapour barrier would keep insulation where it belongs.

Having said that, currently legal insulation is not ("yet" you might add) officially recognized to be carcinogenic. Current code cannot protect us from hazards that are not yet identified and accepted as such by authorities. Not to say that I much like recessed lights.

Chip C

Reply to
Chip C

The single biggest cause of cancer is stress from worrying about it.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

plonk!

Reply to
effi

plonk!

Reply to
effi

not in humid areas

recessed lights must have 3" of space between them and insulation horizontally

above them there is to be nothing so the heat can dissipate upwards

per national electric code in the usa

recheck california, you have a surprise looming on the horizon ; )

current code is based on profits; fads start in california which recognizes fiberglass is a "potential carcinogen"

reality is that fiberglass *is* carcinogenic, and reality is a bitch

i'm with ya on that one

Reply to
effi

stick to sailing...

Reply to
effi

And the sooner, the better!

Reply to
Matt

On 1/26/2005 1:53 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Can I be plonked too? I want to be in the majority.

Reply to
willshak

perhaps, stick around, we'll see

Reply to
effi

Stick to wailing

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

'few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the attic to enter the house'

I sure am glad that big 'ol hole for the attic fan only lets air go one way!

Reply to
Matt

Some guy with a microscope says 70% of our indoor household dust is made up of human body dander and lint's from our clothes, furniture, etc.... ever wonder what that other 30% of the dust is made out of.

Reply to
bumtracks

On 1/26/2005 2:17 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Oh, please! Tell me what to do. Should I call you the newsgroup's Minister of Doom and Gloom". If that enough?

Reply to
willshak

On 1/26/2005 2:36 PM US(ET), bumtracks took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Cat dander!

Reply to
willshak

In article , effi wrote: ...

You claim that fiberglas dust is carcinogenic. Prove it. I've not yet seen any proof of it. Nor have the regulatory agencies. If it were proven, you would see companies like Owens Corning or Johns Mansfield disintegrating rapidly (like the asbestos industry did), yet they have not.

Until we actually know that fiberglas dust is carcinogenic, please refrain from spreading rumors.

Let me tell you a dirty (bad pun) little secret. The rest of the house is not 100% air tight either. And that's a good thing, otherwise you would suffocate, and the humidity would ruin the house. Examples: Every electrical outlet and switch is not airtight. If the walls are stuffed with fiberglas (as they usually are for exterior walls, sometimes also for interior walls), you have little leaks right there, and some fiberglas dust will come in. Same with ceiling light fixture outlets (which will usually be in contact with the fiberglas insulation in the attic). Same with little cracks around each window or door. Not to mention nail holes: If you hang a picture, and then remove it and leave a little nail hole behind, there is another leak. Your water heater is insulated, quite possibly with a fiberglas blanket, and its outer shell isn't airtight either.

Clearly, fiberglas dust is not to be taken lightly. Putting a sensible amount of effort into sealing it is a good idea.

If you feel strongly that you want to live without any fiberglas, then please move to a house that is insulated without fiberglas. In the meantime, spreading paranoia and annoying others is not useful.

Reply to
_firstname_

You sir, are treading dangerously toward plonk-ville!

Reply to
Matt

The carcinogenic nature of fiberglass insulation is debatable. At most it is slight for those who work with it on regular bases. That comes from someone who has been fighting cancer for over 30 years and 30 years ago was told I had a 10% chance of making it 5 years. Don't over do it. Worry about the real stuff, not the minimal issues. Consider how many people die from sun or tobacco exposure compared to those who may have died of fiberglass exposure. My issue was sun exposure and I avoid it, but I don't stop my life because of it. I still enjoy rowing, running, bike riding etc.

Now if you want to put me on your "stick your fingers in your ears" list, go ahead. It won't hurt me.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan