Receiver troubles - no sound is output

I can not get my receiver to output sound to the speakers.

It did before.

The tuner does not work, or the DVD, etc.

Any ideas what to try?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
A K

Output power transistor or caps are good bets...electrolytics are generally first to go...

Reply to
dpb

The only real chance of fixing this is if it is a bad output selector switch. That is not unusual tho. I imagine you are going to find the entire audio output section is an IC on a big heat sink that you can't find anywhere. I had one of these on my desk at work (Pioneer) that I just hard wired to the FM tuner because that switch was bad. It went out with the trash when they took the office apart after I retired. There is another one in the shop (Sony) with a bad switch that is probably going in the trash the next time I purge stuff I am never going to fix.

Reply to
gfretwell

That one's new enough that's quite probably the case...

I have an ancient ca. 1969 Kenwood that is solid state but still individual transistors. The power transistors are still available; replaced them about 5 year ago now; finding the large electrolytics was a challenge...a couple I ended up not replacing (or actually went back to the originals as the new failed very quickly when I just swapped out all on general principles of being 40 years old...

--

Reply to
dpb

... you've probably tried all of these .. Have you tried all speaker jacks - front & rear ? Headphones jack working ? Any re-set buttons on the speakers ? Partially stuck A/B speaker button ?

Any practical jokers in the house ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Only practical joker is me, but I do not think I did anything. :-)

Andy

Reply to
A K

Speaker fuses? Either with access covers in the back or after you take the cover off.

Speaker selection switch. I have a very expensive table radio, the only one outside of the car that gets WAMU and C-Span radio well**, both about 40 miles from here. It's about 34 years old and has a button to switch from stereo to monaural, or something like that, and for the last

4 years, it I touch the button, it might lose sound. It's getting worse and when it's messed up, about twice a year, I have to touch it just right to get it to work again. Eventually I'll open it up and bypass solder the switch in one position.

Also the on/off button is touchy. If I don't touch it right, it responsds twice, off then on again, or vice versa. I normally want the sleep switch anyhow and if that gets touched twice it goes from 60 minutes to 59 left.

**In the office I use the computer for those stations and in the kitchen I watch TV.
Reply to
micky