Range clock - Disconnect it!

dpb wrote

It aint bullshit, its fact.

administration that decreed the NRC would

planning to build in Barnwell, SC, area.

Nope, breeders arent used for power nukes anywhere in the world.

demonstration project outside Oak Ridge,

conventional PWRs in the early to

Irrelevant to the rest of the world.

Pity about the rest of the world.

hence renewable.

manufacturing, fuel supply, operation and

comparison is of no value.

Wrong, as always. We were discussing what constitutes green.

You havent got a clue about what that means.

Nukes are nothing like green.

They are however the best way to generate power if you care about CO2 emissions.

Reply to
Rod Speed

My point was that the power consumption is not cut in half by removing one of the tubes. If you turn on a two tube fixture with NO tubes in it, it will draw power as well.

Reply to
salty

Rod Speed wrote: ...

...in the context of power generation

I know very well how it is used by certain advocates. Whether it is a working definition is another matter. I choose to look at an entire system rather than whether or not some label is or isn't meaningful.

You'll also note I've used "green", not green if you've been watching carefully... :)

As for breeders, again I have only expounded on what is feasible (even more so than relying on your acceptance of the conventional green definition) as being a renewable source, not that it is presently being used. You really need to read what is actually said rather than what you think is said.

Reply to
dpb

It makes a HUGE difference.

--

Reply to
dpb

Those little cells typically can power the clock and CMOS for a heck of a long time; I wouldn't sweat it.

Reply to
CJT

I think they're closing four, but out of how many?

I still think the answer is treadmills in prisons. :-)

Reply to
CJT

Huh? I think he makes a valid point -- facilities must be designed for peak demand, not average demand.

Reply to
CJT

Just as the microwave has a clock based timer that counts down and shuts if off too. Makes is saver for children and seniours to use over other cooking apliances. Why would you want to eliminate that? You could step back 20 years and put in a windup timer but I don't see any real savings there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
Rod Speed

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

Nope, it doesnt with the traditional ballast that fools like you dont realise isnt a transformer.

Reply to
Rod Speed

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

Wrong, as always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

On 6/3/2008 5:34 PM Don Klipstein spake thus:

Similar story here: I have a Tyan Trinity 400 MB w/Pentium, about 8 years old, that I turn off & on daily. It has never lost CMOS data, not once. (And yes, it has the newfangled type of on-off switch, ACPI, all that type crap.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

isnt a transformer.

Sorry, Rod, but this discussion is about the laws of physics on the planet Earth. We weren't including your planet, whatever it is.

Reply to
salty

isnt a transformer.

That must be why the full name for the device is "Transformer Ballast", eh?

Reply to
salty

No it does not. Storage and handling issues are virtually identical. What happened in Rocky Flats could just as easily happen any where radioactive nuclear material is present for any purpose.

Reply to
salty

Is that your new sig? It's PERFECT!

Reply to
salty

a 1 watt load == 8769 watts/year

Reply to
max

Asus is a top of the line motherboard, so you'd expect them to have a replaceable battery. The boards sold for use in name brand computers are decontented to save ever penny possible, literally (I used to work for a very large Taiwanese motherboard company's U.S. office). This includes using a very low capacity back-up battery, and soldering it in.

Remember the large rectangular Tadiran batteries with a wire and a connector used on old AT motherboards? They used these because the battery had to power the RTC and CMOS for long periods of time because when the power was off there was no +5V to power the RTC. The ATX supply changed all this. There were other reasons as well. With the ATX supply, there is power to the PCI slots so you can do remote power-up through the network (though with most boards these days the Ethernet chip is on the board, and can be powered directly with standby power).

Reply to
SMS

That analysis uses the accounting of debiting peak load deficits against a wind generator is intellectually dishonest. The correct way is to credit a wind generator's output against a conventional plant's fuel consumption.

One watt-hour provided from wind is one watt-hour not required of coal.

Now, if we really really want to persist in that sort of thinking, one might imagine a magical future where somehow the impossible happens and we contravene the laws of thermodynamics by using our wind energy to excite an energy storing oscillator.

But that's impossible, unfortunately, so we could never imagine B-field storage (apropos of which results were recently published of a new apparently b-field-quench resistant (quench-proof?) ceramic superconductor) , nor Ke storage, nor hydrogen storage nor water resevoir storage schema for load leveling. oh, wait.

That's why i call it dishonest. Because the limitations of windmill technology do not require us to build more fossil fuel plants, and because it's "relatively" trivial to built energy storage systems to buffer their output, should we deem it helpful to do so.

Reply to
max

Hi, If we talk about energy saving, how about we start driving smaller vehicles. No monster SUV like Hummer or big gas guzzler V8, V10 engines. Why we need a Hummer going grocery shopping?

Reply to
Tony Hwang