Range clock - Disconnect it!

snip

I think that's common. And ink costs more than electricity.

I've just dumped my Epson, which consumed vast amounts of ink during cleaning cycles, for an HP which recycles the ink back into the cartridge. I don't mind turning my HP off, although it appears to have a switch mode power supply.

HP has spent a large fortune on printer technology lately and the big print shops are using HP's.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I disconnected only my clock (it was noisy) so the oven light would still work.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
nick hull

Hmm, I see you've snipped all context to make your point.

The real point is that phantom power loss is not negligible and accounts for 5% to 10% worldwide. Higher in more developed economies. Many appliance use more power "off" than on (collectively).

Now, you will probably object to any regulation that would level the playing field and require all manufacturers to reduce phantom drain. And that's a real shame as the technology already exists and the return on investment is quick.

You can't consume your way out of every problem. You certainly would rather do nothing about global warming. It's funny how some people can deny the human component of global warming and yet have no problem with the rationale of going to war in Iraq.

Also note that I've never advocated removing the clock from the range.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Uh, cite? No, never mind, the above statement is just pure BS.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Actually no. Current estimates that make sense if you do the math show that 9% of electrical power is wasted just due to cheap power supplies. For some reason a lot of people just don't see how little things add up.

Reply to
George

Right I can't use the oven timer. BUT I am no Julia Child! I have burned boiled chicken. In other words I would never use an oven timer nor would I ever use the clock on a range.

By the way my electric bill last month was $32. This is because of doing many little things like the above, buying new Energy Star appliances (use less energy), use compact fluorescent light bulbs everywhere, use woodstove for heating, have beefed up insulation on house, installed Energy Star windows, and turn off power to electronic things when not in use (with power strip).

Reply to
Bill

So having done this...was your electric bill substantially smaller the next month?

Reply to
Seerialmom

I have and I'm annoyed at some of these commercials, even though I do understand about vampire electrical use. My 1960+ Sunbeam Toaster and basic Mr. Coffee (just has the on/off switch) do not use electricity while sitting on the counter plugged in. Yet based on some of those commercials the average consumer would think they do. They don't say how to tell if you have vampires in your house. However, I do know that my microwave, TV(s), vcr(s), cable box(es) etc. do. But I don't feel like reprogramming everytime I want to use them, so I let them continue to feast.

Reply to
Seerialmom

Bill wrote

boiled chicken. In other words I would never

It saves f*ck all.

little things like the above,

Nope.

Thats the real reason your bill dropped significantly, and that was nothing like a little thing, and wasnt cheap to do either.

Thats nothing like a little thing either.

Or those in spades.

That saved you f*ck all and using switch mode wall warts is a MUCH more practical approach because you dont have to fart around turning stuff off all the time.

Reply to
Rod Speed

This guy is years ahead of his time. Someday we will all be scraping the bottom of the savings barrel this fastidiously. Well at least I hope not. By the time the oil really runs out, we should be getting most of our electricity from various green sources.

Reply to
Pipedown

From the US department of Energy:

"Many appliances continue to draw a small amount of power when they are switched off. These "phantom" loads occur in most appliances that use electricity, such as VCRs, televisions, stereos, computers, and kitchen appliances. In the average home, 75% of the electricity used to power home electronics is consumed while the products are turned off. This can be avoided by unplugging the appliance or using a power strip and using the switch on the power strip to cut all power to the appliance."[4]

It would seem the only government office you believe in is the OVP.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

This may seem extreme to most of us living on the grid but if one were to be living off the grid maybe using solar and batteries, this kind of stuff makes a measurable difference. For that matter if you have a gas range and it only needs 110V, you could put it on a wall switch and avoid modifying the range.

I can't imagine the OP with an electric range but for some reason he evidently does. For newer ranges with electronic controls, this would not be possible as the clock is integrated into all the controls.

Reply to
Pipedown

Jeff wrote

Doesnt say anything like your stupid claim at the top.

Or that you have never ever had a clue.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Pipedown wrote

Nope.

Nope.

getting most of our electricity from

The vast bulk of our electricity doesnt come from oil, it comes from coal, and even if we stop doing that because of the CO2 produced by that approach, we'll be using nukes instead, not 'various green sources'

strips when not in use. These things use

Reply to
Rod Speed

That is not the same as "appliances use more power 'off' than on." The power usage rate is certainly less during standby than during regular usage. Duty cycle of off time vs. on time can certainly mean that an appliance *may* use more energy over time during standby, but only because it is in standby for much longer periods. When dealing with kitchen appliances, the standby current is very low relative to in use current because most kitchen appliances tend to be fairly big energy users. I doubt the LED clock on my stove uses as much energy in 1 year as one burner uses to boil a pot of water in 5 minutes.

The big hits on standby power are going to be VCRs, computers, TVs and the like. Those tend to not use a lot of power when in use, so the relative difference between standby and in use is not as much to overcome.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

All true but it's still hard to believe the "average house" over 75% in standby, even for electronics. Maybe I have a hard time thinking that because I'm sure my house is far below average in numbers of these devices so I suspect my estimate of "average" is skewed as compared to the sample mean.

--

Reply to
dpb

Rod Speed wrote: ...

Nuclear _is_ a "green" source...

--

Reply to
dpb

Yeah, I find that a little hard to believe too, but I only have one TV in my house. So, I'm probably not "average" either in that regard. In my kitchen the only things that use any standby power are the stove, microwave, and coffee maker. The coffee maker has a couple of LEDs that stay on, pointlessly, all the time but it certainly uses more energy making a pot of coffee in the morning than those LEDs use the other 23.5 hours of the day. The same goes for the microwave and stove clocks. The microwave has a clock display that I disable mostly because I don't need 4 clocks in my kitchen, but I'm sure the clock circuit is still running and it just doesn't display the time. The stove and coffee maker both have clocks which can't be disabled, but again, any one of those use more energy in daily usage than the standby uses the entire rest of the time, by a wide margin.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

That isnt relevant to the total power use of the house tho.

And is dubious with some of the home electronics like TVs and computers, which just happen to be the main uses of power in the average home even with just the home electronics.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope.

Reply to