Range clock - Disconnect it!

In virtually any manner you wish to compare it has less total impact than any alternative technology on a per MWe basis.

I'd be interest to know where that is and what/who is doing this...doesn't sound economically viable to me based on what data I know of on cost/kwh from solar generation...

--

Reply to
dpb

On 6/3/2008 8:00 AM snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu spake thus:

Don't blame the engineers here; blame the marketroids who have visions of dollar signs dancing in their eyes on account of all those kewl new features.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

And possibly discontinuing the Hummer.

Can you imagine the pain this market driven force is causing GM? And for that matter the workforce.

But rational analysis should have told all the car manufacturers that the ramp up in sales (propped along by all kinds of gimmicks) was unsustainable. Now, there's a word for the future, "unsustainable".

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The word used was "sell" in all reporting I saw...

Market forces will direct--if allowed.

--

Reply to
dpb

I had one (early) DVD player that, when turned off, merely turned off the LED on the front panel. The power supply was still fully supplying power to the board and drive, even when turned off.

Reply to
Bob F

A buddy and I went to the New York car show earlier this year and GMs entire focus was on big, piggy fluffed up trucks. We asked their representative if he didn't feel silly offering such vehicles and he told us that GM had made big investments into alternative energy and $1/gallon fuel from recycled tires was coming soon...

Reply to
George

They might do better by just quietly turning off the lights in the plant and forgetting they ever offered such a stupid vehicle for non military use.

Reply to
George

Right you are.

"At this point, we are considering all options for the Hummer brand," Wagoner said. "Everything from a complete revamp of the product lineup to partial or complete sale of the brand."

No possible buyer has been named for the division, which was for a few years -- when gasoline cost less than $3 a gallon -- one of GM's strongest. Last week, GM stock hit a 26-year low, falling to $17.38. At

11:15 this morning, the stock was unchanged at $17.43.

Of course.

But, have you not noticed the destruction wrought? The lack of any standards or accountability for securitizing sub prime loans springs immediately to mind. That little fiasco is going to dwarf the S&L cleanup in scope.

It also seems likely that if the government had pushed SUVs with the

100% write down on up to $100K that that little bubble wouldn't be bursting so large now.

Capital markets benefit by sensible regulation. '29 springs to mind. Thats why post credit meltdown, that the Fed is now inside all the large investment banks, watching...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Doug Miller wrote

Didnt say anything like that.

I said that those are the main power users OF THE HOME ELECTRONICS.

Reply to
Rod Speed

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

Correct.

Thats not a transformer, thats a ballast, electrically very different.

Wrong. Those take very little power when turned off.

Reply to
Rod Speed

dpb wrote

Nope...

There's a hell of a lot more involved in being a green source than that.

There's a hell of a lot more involved in being a green source than that.

There is no etc., etc., etc., ... with nukes and being green.

In spades with the main downside with nukes, the immense cost of dealing with the hulk once its no longer used, if you're actually stupid enough to not just encase it in concrete and leave it there.

Even just the concrete involved with any nuke is very ungreen.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Hmmm, I wonder how many miles you can get on a set of Hummer ties?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ummm... no, you didn't. It's right there: "...TVs and computers, which just happen to be the main uses of power in the average home ..."

Now that may not be what you *meant* ... but it is what you *said*.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote

Thats not nuke electricity generation.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not really if you make any rational comparison of the _quantities_ per MWe...

--

Reply to
dpb

SMS wrote

generate the remainder using something

density population, actually lends

No it doesnt. These are never economic if the grid is available.

more than that (or your meter will run

That only happens when the economics is artificially skewed by legislation.

Reply to
Rod Speed

George wrote: ...

... And how would that be better for GM, precisely?

--

Reply to
dpb

The key word here is "sensible". Most of what I hear isn't...

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote

alternative technology on a per MWe

That doesnt make it a green source.

including installation, and the monthly savings

backwards and you'll be selling power back to

It does happen in some places where legislation artificially skews the economics. Most obviously in Germany where the price the power companys are forced to pay for electricity does skew the economics enough to make it economically viable for the consumer.

Thats just a hidden subsidy tho, industry pays a significantly higher price for the electricity it uses to pay for that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Doug Miller wrote

Yes I did.

Pity that had the words EVEN WITH JUST THE HOME ELECTRONICS on the end of it, which you have just carefully deleted.

No it isnt.

Reply to
Rod Speed