question about hail

On 5/23/2011 11:03 PM, willshak wrote: ...

W/ all the weather we have out here, the last meteor of size to do anything notable was estimated at 20,000 years ago. :) It, otoh, left a debris field folks have dug something like a known 6/7 tons of material out of since first piece was discovered around 1900...

The electronic shield is only good for helicopters, no? :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Did you ever look at these boards in the attic before the hail? Thay may already have been broken from when the shingles were nailed on. That happens. The haild would have been pretty large to bust a 1x6.

I'd get pieces of 1x6 to fit between the rafters, apply construction adhesive, and use drywall screws that WILL NOT go thru both boards and make holes in shingles. Apply the glue and screws to support these boards.

Go on roof, use tar on anything that looks like it might have a hole. I'd not worry about ridge cap as long as it's doing it's job. No one is going to see the dents except roofers and you. If anything paint it a dark color and it will be less obvious. I'm assuming it's metal.

Reply to
jw

Reported yesterday of 4.25" in three locations all within roughly 100 mi of our location. Numerous of from inch to 2-3".

--

Reply to
dpb

If you are repairing a hole in a shingle with tar, don't try to smear the tar on top. It'll just make a mess.

Instead, carefully lift the tab and apply a glob of tar to the shingle underneath the one with the hole, right where the hole will "land". When you press the offending shingle back down, the tar will fill the hole and seal it.

If you think you'll need it, apply a few daps of tar along along the sealer strip to make sure the shingle seals back down again.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I live in western NY where we get "normal" sized hail - tiny. I was in Ohio and saw a truck from Texas that was as dimpled as a golf ball. I asked the driver what happened and he said "Hail".

So, in places like West Kansas and wherever dpb lives - places where large hail is "just part of normal spring/early summer weather patterns" - are all the cars dented?

If not, why not?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 5/25/2011 12:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

"dpb" is located in SW KS...

Not "all", no. In a location that gets a big 'un, there will certainly be a high number that are severely damaged, of course.

But, primarily, not all because those three locations yesterday covered an area of only a few square miles and much of it was in relatively sparsely populated (farm) country. The population centers out here are relatively small and so on an area basis the odds are pretty good that the really severe stuff won't be in an area that does have the high number of vehicles to get clobbered.

Secondly, there's a whole industry that moves around from storm area to the next and does repair. The new "paintless" repair process can do pretty remarkable job even on stuff that looks irreparable. Not car show smooth, but good enough it'll pass the general muster w/o being obvious. Most folks w/ newer vehicles will get them repaired; really old or work vehicles often will sport trophies and/or scars from several events occurred thru their lifetimes. Occasionally folks will take the "opportunity" to cash in and get a new vehicle and if damage on an old is very extensive or it's not a very new vehicle, it'll just go straight to auction or salvage. So the population of hailed-on vehicles gets turned over.

Dealers that get caught w/ a large inventory on a lot can suffer a lot, obviously. That'll happen probably once or twice a year in some location; often Wichita or Hutchinson or Salina being larger metro areas will have an instance.

We were caught in town a few years ago during the "big 'un" I described upthread at the college at a performance. We knew a serious t-storm was moving in from radio reports(1) (it was coming from the NE which is a generally ominous portent for really severe weather out here) so I parked the car (Mom's '97 LeSabre) against the west edge of the press box of the baseball stadium which was high and pretty well constructed. That kept the brunt of the wind-driven of it and saved broken glass but it wore some good-sized dents and did break one mirror support and a wiper arm. But, when they were done unless you'd known to look or knew just where to look against the light, it wasn't noticeable at all.

As noted, the dealerships in town had some serious clearance sales on both new and used vehicles afterwards on that occasion.

(1) Of course, if we had known just how bad it was going to be (and that they would lose power just about halfway thru the first act so show would be canceled anyway) we would have gone back home and put the car in the garage. Turns out the hail track of that storm traveled about 2 mi N of our place which is on S edge of town a few miles east. We only had some strong wind and a nice rain and from the looks of it by the leave shredding/pieces on trees and the corn in the morning a moderate amount of roughly pea-sized hail.

--

Reply to
dpb

On 5/25/2011 12:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

In comparison...

When finished uni, first job was in Lynchburg, VA, then were in E TN (Oak Ridge) area for over 20 before returning to family farm.

While there were a few instances of serious weather in that time while there (a small tornado in Loudon County, TN killed a couple folks 'cuz nobody there could imagine such a thing and took little or no heed of warnings, primarily) and one serious hail event in Clinton, I was continually amazed at how benign the weather was.

Saw some of the most tremendous lightning shows ever and lots of SLCs (1), but rarely was there any t-storm that I would have called even moderate in severity, what more severe. Headlines were made if wind gusts reached 45 mph (while we're having sustained winds today of 30-45 mph and gusts 50+ since midnight last night not expected to abate until after 8PM) whereas we would think that would be pretty tame.

Of course, with all the trees and that there was so little heavy wind to keep things culled, the amount of damage done by those was inordinate to the severity. Here, the continual winds mean the utility lines have to be much more stout and well-maintained to prevent inordinate number of outages and the lack of moisture means there are trees only where they've been planted and watered around farmsteads or in towns (other than the stray cedars and wayward cottonwoods hither and yon but nothing like the forest and thick growth back there).

(1) Scary-looking clouds.

--

Reply to
dpb

It's all your fault!

My local forecast:

"Scattered thunderstorms during the morning becoming more widespread and possibly severe this afternoon.

Storms may produce large hail and strong winds.

High 82F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 5/26/2011 8:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Chuckles... :)

I'd take it...as noted the western portions of the High Plains are in severe to extreme drought. I just did the following in an e-mail w/ an aunt back in Wichita where it is only a little below their normals--since last August. These are totals from the airport monitoring station in town about 10 mi west of us except for some motes I've made comparing my notes for here at the house...

Aug 1.18" (16th - 1.01" ) We got ~1.30 on the 16th at the house Sep 0.07 Oct 0.15 Nov 0.43 Dec 0.01 Jan 0.01 Feb 0.00 Mar 0.25 (estimated; they have 4.81" on Mar 3 but that is snow depth if not total aberration; the calendar day shows sun for the day) Apr 0.60 We got the 0.20 and 0.70 on two Sun/Mon I mentioned May 0.11 Don't believe we had quite that much--just sprinkles

Yesterday's wind specs...

Wind Speed 35 mph (NNW) Max Wind Speed 45 mph Max Gust Speed 54 mph

Lowest sustained wind speed from 00:00 AM until 8PM was 29 at 00:15 and

19:55 recordings w/ a short lull of about 28-30mph between 4-5AM; after 8PM it rapidly dropped to near calm finally as the low moved off east.

While somewhat extreme even for us we get such strong winds pretty much routinely ahead of and behind each front; generally first from the S then as the low progresses back from the N on the back edge. What we hope for is enough period of S/SE wind to bring up gulf moisture to be in place so when the front actually arrives it has some moisture to work with and hopefully set off some t-storms which is our general mechanism for rain as opposed to the general area-wide rains that are much more prevalent back there.

Unfortunately, this last year has produced almost nothing in the way of moisture events along the whole stretch from roughly the western third of NE/KS/OK/TX and on into eastern sections of NM/CO/NE panhandle w/ the exception that finally within the last couple of weeks there has been activity in NE CO spilling some over into NE KS/SW NE. But, that's remained well north of us in the SW corner.

We're in that narrow band of "extreme" on the edge of "exceptional" in the SW corner of KS. While it shows extreme conditions on farther east in KS, one must remember that their averages are 2x or more those of the farther west and the indices are relative to averages for the areas. So, if we had had what they have had we could well be near normal while they're showing a world of hurt, comparatively.

Needless to say, farming ain't goin' too well for the dryland folks and even irrigated guys simply don't have the water it would take to really make a crop.

--

Reply to
dpb

Most of western NY occaisionally gets supercell thunderstorms intense enough to drop hail of pingpong ball to golfball size. Even if only once a century - that does happen.

Even the Philadelphia area has reports of hail of pingpong ball to golfball size in one or a few localities every several years.

Reply to
Don Klipstein