Hail Damage roof replacement

A post came through on neighborhood social media. Any ideas?

****

Hi everyone,

I need some advice on getting a roof replacement due to hail damage. My house is a multi-story single family home with architectural shingles. The hail storm last week left some visible dents and cracks on the shingles, but I’m not sure if it’s enough to warrant a full roof replacement.

I’ve heard that insurance adjusters have different criteria for determining the extent of the damage and the amount of the settlement. Some factors that may affect their decision are the age and condition of the roof, the size and density of the hail, the slope and orientation of the roof, and the type and quality of the shingles.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with insurance adjusters for hail damage claims? What is typically considered enough damage that an insurance adjuster will authorize a full roof replacement? How can I prepare for the inspection and negotiation process? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

****
Reply to
MummyChunk

As you said, different adjusters often assess damages differently. I suggest that the only way you're likely to get a useful crowd-sourced response is to limit your question by mentioning both your community location and your insurance carrier. Responses from those who live in your community and use the same insurance company may provide useful guidance. Best of luck!

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I had 20 years in mind for depreciation. More information here:

Dean

One big thing, you can get a roofer to come over first, give their opinion. They will have experience dealing with insurance situations. See if you can get them to come over when the adjuster is there, especially if they think it's so damaged that it needs full replacement.

One factor the adjuster considers is the state of the current shingles. If they are too old and brittle to make spot repair possible, they will pay for replacement of the whole roof. There is a test, where they lift and bend a test shingle to see how far it can bend without damage. To be able to spot repair, you need to be able to do that with the undamaged shingles.

Reply to
trader_4