Roofing and shingle options for hail country

Big hail storm through last month here in Minnesota and we'll be replacing the roof. Current is basic builder-quality asphalt shingles and the roof line isn't too complex. I'm wondering what we should look into as options for the new roof. Class 4 rated shingles? Particular brands? Other products like steel?

I'm interested in overall cost of course but also conscious that we'll be in the house for 20+ years so if I can avoid replacing the roof once or twice in that period an upgrade may be well worth it.

Thanks,

kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

You oughta be able to get 20 yrs out of 50yr Asphalt shingle--- but I'm kinda looking at the steel shingles for a job I'll need to do in the next decade sometime. [replacing 30yr old asphalt that still looks good- but is brittle.]

I haven't gotten past the 'looks like they have the advantages of steel but still look like shingles' stage.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

A Holmes episode on TV recently showed steel shingles being installed on a condo. Nice looking, big, easy to deal with panels, seemed to go on rather quickly. Since the TV show is Canadian, their products may or may not differ from what we have available. Regardless, metal roofing is showing up more and more these days. Haven't checked all the box stores, but local Menards, for example, has metal roofing from nearby McElroy metal mill. If you want long warranties, the metal shingle people seem to have them. Definitely worth checking out. Like many, I feel a bit uneasy about the anomalies in weather any more. That might be a deal maker for a metal roof of some sort.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

This is serious hail country, too...SW KS.

There are quite a few steel here both the individual shingles and the regular steel metal roofing. Depends in large part on the house and any applicable zoning and/or covenants, of course. The one problem w/ steel in large hail is while it may not actually fail it can be dented and that is a cosmetic issue w/ many as it may be a long time in that condition. I would not recommend the alternate Al for that reason.

The other that is making inroads here is the recycled material shingles

-- they've got higher survival ratings than asphalt but we've not had a really severe hail in town (lots of killer hails around; just since it's rural area and towns are small chances of any particular one of them getting hit is fairly small) since the last big 'un so I've not seen how they actually hold up.

--

Reply to
dpb

Hmm, I see a few barns around here (I'm also in MN) with metal roofs - most of them with awful corrosion patches and streaks. If that's the way they go on houses too (and possibly not covered by warranty if they do, because it's not considered structural or a manufacturing defect) I think I'd steer clear.

Most asphalt shingles seem to be guaranteed for at least 30 years these days, but as with the steel I'm not sure what the terms of the warranty are and if the suppliers manage to weasel out of all but the most catastrophic failures...

(can you get tile or slate around here? Where I used to live it was pretty much all that, and roofs would last more or less forever)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Jules Richardson wrote: ...

You have any idea how old those may be? I'd guess quite altho some may have chosen seconds for barn roofing material...

That doesn't count much for hail -- a brand new roof today can be totaled tomorrow night in severe hail no matter what the longevity rating is for normal weather. That's not a roofing material warranty responsibility, that's the reason one has homeowners' insurance.

Ever seen tile or slate after baseball+ hail and 70 mph winds? Not so much...

--

Reply to
dpb

thick assed timberline 35 yr shingles for a traditional look.

steel roofing for a lifetime of no maintainence.

Reply to
Steve Barker

One of the things to remember is some roofs will qualify for a tax credit.

FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Personally, I'd get whatever the insurance pays for. Steel is WAY too expensive for my budget. If you're in a hail area I'd get 20yr shingles. You're just going to have to replace them anyway. Keep the deductible ready in the bank for the next storm. You'd have to have quite a few bad storms to warrant the cost of a steel shingle roof. Just my opinion.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

I agree..Big hail will destroy or dent the hell out of whatever you put up there..Go with a good 30 architectural shingle and be ready with the deductable when not if it happens again...IMHO...

Reply to
benick