Roofing Project: Phase Two

After completing phase one of my first roofing project, I've time to plan and setup for the second phase while a few thunderstorm systems pass through this week. I took some pictures of the roof and some of the features that have questions marks for me. I will have help this time; some of the people are quite skilled with this kind of work, but I was hoping to air my dirty laundry here first. Anyway, here's a link to a series of the first pics:

If you see any red flags or otherwise have a comment or suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it.

clyde

Reply to
Clyde Gill

Wow- that roof has been there WAY too long.

Do a side at a time, in case it doesn't go as fast as you hope. Replace all the tin- even if it looks okay, by the time you take it off, you may crack it or otherwise make it prone to failure. Flashing, drip edge, and ridge vent is too cheap to try to reuse.The angle is done like last guy did it- lay your rows out to have the dotted glue line at the bend. On a sunny day, the row above should take the bend and adhere, or you can cheat with a little caulking gun adhesive to train them. With lots of people nailing, 'eyeballing' the rows gets hard. Chalkline at least every 3-4 courses, unless the felt has the lines and is perfectly horizontal. That one transition that looks hot-mopped needs a flashed valley, with an additional hump on the low roof side to keep water from driving under the ends of the shingles on the low roof. I'd frame up and deck the new porch roof before I did the roof above it- you can always finish the porch on your own after the friends leave. Get a big dumpster, and several tarps. Also, that roof looks pretty high- hope you can get roof delivery. If not, rent one of those elevator things. Renting/borrowing the appropriate scaffolds/staging and jacks makes it all go a lot easier. For the flat roofs, I'd consider going to standing seam, or at least putting that self-sealing rubber stuff under the shingles.

You are an ambitious person to consider a roof like that DIY. I hope you plan a hell of a party for all the volunteers, and give them a case of whatever you are making there.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Yeah, that's about an understatement. The price was right though!

That's been the plan. The front needs replacing but it's not quite in the dire straits yet.

I was hoping to wait on replacing the rigdge vent until I get to the front side. I'm open to suggestions on name brands. So far, the only one I've looked at is the one made by Corning. Seems like there should be some better ones available.

I suppose you just "cheat" the shingles closer together to get the right lay out!?

If the weather is anything like last weeks roofing, this should not be a problem!! Those shingles were floppy noodles. I noticed that they cut pretty easy that way.

The felt I buy has lines and I was going to lay that out with chalk lines.

That area I'm calling the "cellar roof" is a big joke. They put a roof on top of another roof there to stop a leak.... still didn't work. Fortunately it was only leaking into the cellar that has a drain, where it did no harm. That'll be completely pulled out with the replacement being 9ft higher... and more slope.... with a flashed valley.

I didn't intend to attach the porch roof extension to the building. It's more just for sun than rain.

Done.

I have a tractor with a platform on the forklift which will take everything to the first "bend" of the roof. As mentioned above, the flat roof will no longer be flat, once it's raised.

You don't know the half of it. Compared to everything else I juggle around here, this work is a breeze. Though there are other jobs I prefer, I'd rather be on the roof than in this office!

That's pretty much a given. Smoked ribs, potato salad, ranchstyle beans, bread, and blackberry pie (all homemade); but most of these guys don't go for my wine so we'll have some brew to boot, plus live music. Beside that, many of them already owe me. But, any excuse for a party!!

Thanks for the input, aem. It really helps to air this stuff out before hand.

clyde

for those interested, I found this website with some insightful information on re-roofing (including installation of a ridge vent):

Clyde Gill

information

A tip on the ridge vent, do not hammer like the link shows, it tends to blow out the sheathing when hammering near the edge. Use a cordless with

2-1/2 to 3" exterior screws, use a nail gun with 1-3/4" (longest ones a gun will hold) for capping over the vent.
Reply to
Jack

"Jack" wrote

Nail into the rafters not just the plywood.

"Jack" also wrote

never nail with a nailing gun

Use 2 " min. roofing nails w/hammer for capping over the vent. (2 1/2" works best).

Reply to
Carpenter Ant

(snip)

Good thing you didn't give your exact address! With a menu like that, you'd get people like me showing up hammer in hand, with 'will work for food' signs! :^)

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

"Jack" wrote

if you measure from support point to support point I bet you will find it has been designed to line up with the rafters. Always nail ridge vent into rafters. usually pre drilled holes would be 4" OC therefore it lines up with 12" oc,16"oc,24"oc) just nailing into plywood is useless (high wind will blow it off the roof).

C.A.

Reply to
Carpenter Ant

Have plenty of deck material handy. It's hard to tell just from the picture, but the way the rafters are telegraphing through the shingles, I wouldn't be surprised if you needed a complete re-deck.

Reply to
thunder