wheel of fortune-type project

I'm looking to build an upright 'wheel of fortune'-type project. The problem? I'm not sure how to make the wheel spin. I googled around and couldn't find much, so I was hoping smart folks here might have a suggestion. At first I was thinking maybe a lazy-susan type apparatus, but those are much smaller than I need. So then I was thinking of some sort of ball bearing/axle type thing, but I'm not sure how to implement. Any ideas?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Either a flange mount or pillow block bearing, depending on whether your supporting structure is a vertical panel or a horizontal member, respectively.

Reply to
LEGEND65

A rear axle stub and hub assy from any FWD car should hold just about any wheel. The axle stub from a VW Golf has a flat back plate so mounting it is trivial. You should be able to find one at almost any junk yard for a few bucks. Art

Reply to
Artemus

One time I made a huge spinner gadget out of three quarter inch plywood that was about 45 inches in diameter. I got a large sized die cast aluminum V-belt pully that was about 11 inches around. I bolted the pully to the back side of the spinner gadget to use as the hub for the axle shaft. The axle shaft was then a short length of half inch diameter steel bar that was fitted with two flanged ball bearings. The ball bearings were simply mounted into two wooden members of the support structure. The axle extension from the near side bearing was kept nice and short a shaft length of about nine inches from bearing to bearing provided good support. I mounted the shouldered bearings in the wood structure in a properly sized hole made with a hole saw and used three small bolts through the wood with washers that clamped the edge of the shouldered bearing in place.

The die case V-pulley was obtained from a store that sold repair parts for evaporative coolers. It looked similar to the upper one in this picture:

type of bearings used were obtained from the local hardware store and looked much like this:
Mike

Reply to
mkaras

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:10:14 +0100, Jim wrote (in article ):

Have you given much thought to how you are going to safely restrain/support the girl in case she squirms when you throw the knives?

The other thing you _might_ need to make some provision for balancing the wheel so it doesn't always stop at "thirteen" or whatever. Maybe a fat rim on the rear in which you could conceal small weights (clipped-on bits of lead or somesuch) or drill out lots of forstner holes. Might not be necessary. but best to allow for it beforehand in case you end up with a kludge later on.

Are you making a "stop only in a sector, not on a divider" type device for this?

Reply to
Bored Borg