Survived the hail storm

Well the garden did, the house did, the kids thought it was "kewl" but the truck has a cracked windshield.

I know we were lucky and the teenaged son was beaned by a pea sized piece....

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

The garden pretty much OK. The lettuce and basil look pretty sad (the lettuce leave because they are large and soft, the basil because it's so temperature sensative).

I noticed the hostas in one of the huge planters downtown seem to really have caught the brunt of the hail (very exposed) and look like they've been clawed by cats (daughter's description).

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

You must see hail more than I do - this was the first time for both of my kids and I can only remember one time with anything bigger than the pea sized pellets that fell a few days ago.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Hi Cheryl!

Glad to hear y'all made it pretty much ok! I didn't realize there was any bad weather like that up there! Of course, I haven't been keeping up with the weather reports that much lately. We had a huge hail storm here about a month ago. The hail stones ranged from pea sized to just about golf ball size...I just knew it was gonna bust the windshield on our vehicles then, but we were lucky in that department. Did do a number on the corn, cucumber plants, and collards as well as several of my roses, irises, and a few other plants. Don't know how we managed to get out of it without any broken glass though. Some areas nearby us had hail from that same storm that was 2 inches in diameter! Guess I better knock on wood for us (not that I'm the superstitious type!) because we do get hail storms here at least 3 times per year! I can see how your kids thought it was kewl, because even though I worry about how our vehicles, livestock, pets, and crops will fare, it's still pretty amazing to see!

~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

I was amazed such a tiny piece of ice could inflict that much damage, especially when I've had larger pebbles bounce right off while driving.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Not usually more than once a year, and usually not more than gravel...

There was more hail yesterday, which just missed us, but got the end of the neighborhood. I could tell where it had hailed by the shreds of green on the ground. Very spotty.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz