Purchasing a washer online from Sears? Prepare to pay $31 more than the sale price.

You don't seem to be able to purchase a washer on the Sears web site without also purchasing a mandatory set of stainless supply hoses for $31. Not a bad idea for many. Not a good idea for those who already own stainless hoses or better.

Reply to
Steve Stone

My recently purchased LG included the hoses - and the instructions said to only use the supplied hoses ... Perhaps Sears is " hosing " you ...

Reply to
hubops

a few months ago my step son ordered a pizza from papa johns online.........

they dont honor the sales price if you order on line. i called corportate and complained.....

a franchise district manager did cll me back and tried to defend, that online ordering carried extra costs so they couldnt honor the sales price. ordering from a human did get you the sales price.

so i called their complaint number again but the same guy called me back..

he claimed we have 800 franchise locations so we are cooporate.....

the crportate complaint number was useless...........

so we never buy papa johns........

Reply to
bob haller

sears is in their death spiral......

put out of business by the guy who has controlling intererest. eddie hardelstein..

he has put zero bucks into sears and k mart.........

milking all the money he can out of the dying business......

its sad to watch sears dying slowly

Reply to
bob haller

Why would you buy from Sears? They may be out of business before you even get the machine installed.

Unless you live two hundred miles from town, go to a good local appliance dealer. Most are priced about the same and have better service.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sears sold houses years ago:

It isn't just Sears facing money problems from what I've read here and there. Tnis internet thing seems to be catching on. I guess J.C. Penny and The Gap are facing similar problems.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Amazon and a few others are killing them. Funny thing is, Sears and Penny had the catalog already, just had to convert it to a web based database and accept orders. They lacked vision.

I checked my order history with Amazon. In 2000 I placed 1, in 2003 I placed 2, big year was 2010 I placed 4, then it increased. In the past six months I've placed 35 orders. As I type this I'm listening to music on the Fire box with Prime.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The question you must ask yerself is, did I really need all those things.

I usta have Prime. Amazon is true to its hype. Two days to yer doorstep, no matter the quantity or the price. OTOH, I found myself ordering stuff jes to take advantage of the free shipping. Didn't need their movies, as I already had Netflix. But, I ordered a buncha stuff. Now that I do NOT have Prime, I'm back down to ordering 3-4 things per yr. Yes, I was jes spending $$$$ like I had it. 8|

nb

Reply to
notbob

if Sears is doing the installation, maybe they will use your hoses, and give you credit...?

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

I bought my washer and dryer from a good local appliance dealer. They were very helpful when the dryer failed after just a week.

Interestingly, when the old salesman asked my for my phone number he wrote it down as just 5 digits. It's been more than 20 years since we had 5-digit dialing (it went away when we got ESS in about 1990).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Most folks "don't have the time" to make a pilgrimmage out to a store, wander around to find what they are interested in and then try to chase down a pimply faced kid (who would much rather be elsewhere!) to answer their questions.

We hadn't been in a Sears in close to 20 years (maybe 25?) but bought a bed there. *One* older salesman who was a good salesman (and didn't make us wonder if he actually knew anything about the product).

Sears, Penney's, etc. look like morgues, here. Big EMPTY buildings (lots of product, no people!)

We wonder how long it will be before Costco goes the same route (Kirkland branded everything; then starts letting the quality slip...). Our total dollars spent there has largely remained constant over the years -- despite price increases. We seem to be buying fewer and fewer things from them and finding better deals, elsewhere.

Reply to
Don Y

Why would anyone order a pizza online? Seems to me it would be a lot faster to just call them....

I dont understand people who order common stuff online, like groceries. By the time you fill out all the forms and stuff you could have called them 10 times.

Why order a Sears appliance online? THere is a Sears store almost everywhere. Besides I like to SEE what I'm buying, not just a picture.

About the only stuff I order online are parts for things, like cars, electronics, etc. That's just because I cant buy that stuff locally. And more often than not, I end up paying more for the shipping than the item. Just recently I found a car part I needed for $9. The shipping was $10. I bought the part at a local auto parts store for $20. I would have saved $1 online, then had to wait close to a week to get it. Not worth the hassle!

Reply to
Paintedcow

I live close to a town of about 8,000. It's about a 50 mile drive one way to buy something if I can't find it nearby. That's fifty bucks added to the price using the IRS figure of fifty cents a mile. Internet buying beats that by a bunch in convenience and usually price. I try to patronize the local Ace Hardware. Where else to get an odd plumbing piece on a weekend or evening? The next generation is taking over so there will be a learning curve. The older employees knew their stuff. There were a fair number of people at a mall the last time I hit one. A good share of them were teenagers just wandering around.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Local Mom and Pop shop is closed on Sundays, only non work day we have time to shop.

Reply to
Steve Stone

About all that I buy on-line are electronic components. Can't go wrong -- unless someone pulls the wrong parts (in which case, they can pay for the return postage, etc.).

SWMBO has tried buying clothing and shoes but its usually multiple attempts to get the right product in her hands. I'd rather just go somewhere, buy what I want and be done with it.

[It takes dynamite to get me out of the house, shopping. But, once out, "let's get ALL OF IT done!"]

We have a couple of ACE's here owned by the same folks. Very good selections, etc. I know the first names of many of the folks and they know mine.

A little embarassing to only be buying "small change" items (screws, nuts, etc.) but I feel no need to spend a lot of money JUST to spend a lot of money, there! I'm not going to buy a box of 5/6x3/4 carriage bolts when I only need *2*!

Malls aren't fond of teens -- "short arms" (even if they have deep pockets!)

Reply to
Don Y

My wife's medical supplies? Yes. One item is 25% cheaper and I get it in two clicks, not a 15 mile drive to the only store that has it.

Screen protector for cell phone? Half the price than the ATT store.

A few were gifts. A couple I did not think were needed, but my wife wanted them so she got them. Good enough reason for me.

If we did not have Prime some of the orders would have been combined to get free shipping. Like an ink cartridge that could have waited a week or so. It was a buck cheaper than Staples so I clicked and had it in two days.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you know exactly what you want, phone call is easy. OTOH, going on line can help you decide what to get. You see the full list of toppings and may decide to get olives this time. If you are already in the system it is fast to order too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

There used to be a good old Ace hardware store around here like that. We had another good hardware store too. Neither lasted long after Lowe's opened.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Sun, 15 May 2016 10:27:36 -0500, "Dean Hoffman" wrote in

When I was a kid in the late 1950s, the yearly arrival of the Sears catalog was a wonderful event. It seemed to have everything imaginable and I would spend hours looking through it.

Sears was the king of mail-order then and they continued to be king for a long time. When Internet shopping started, Sears was in a perfect position to dominate it since they already had a massive mail-order infrastructure operating. All they had to do was put their catalog online.

But they didn't. And now, they will soon be gone. Another example of upper management flubbing it while sitting fat and happy in their tower. Wal-Mart will follow in the next 10 years.

Reply to
CRNG

But the reverse is also true. Online they typically have all the products they sell, while the local store has only some on the floor. If you go to the store, you only see what they have there and you don't even know what all the other options are. I would usually want to see the product, but I start my searches online, which saves a lot of useless driving around. Sometimes they have lower prices or special deals that apply online only too.

Shipping can be a factor. But most of these offer free shipping once you get to $50 or $75 or so, so if you can order some extra stuff, that you will need soon, that can work. Many periodically have free shipping too. And places like Advanced Auto have deals for 20% off going all the time too. Plus AA, Autozone, you can buy it online, have it shipped to the store and then shipping is free. Almost all the parts I order I do online now, including Ebay. But I agree that if the difference is small, you need it right away, the local store can be the best option.

Reply to
trader_4