I'm involved in getting bids for a roofing job on a group of
condominiums. I have a bid for $42,650 which we will probably want to
go with. We will be signing a contract in the next month, but the job
won't be started for 5 to 6 months. there are reasons for the delay
which have to do with the nature of the job and our ability to extract
a special assessment from the home owners.
The contractor, a relatively new firm that has been in existence for
two years, is asking for payment as follows:
1. Deposit of $4,250
2. Payment at commencement of work in the amount of $19,200
Commencement of work is defined as the delivery of materials or
performance of labor.
3. Payment of $19,200 within two weeks after completion of job.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm not too keen on those terms.
Over half the job could conceivably be paid for before any significant
work was completed. Any suggestions on what would be fair for both
parties would be appreciated.
My opinion would be not to give any deposit in advance. However, one-third
(1/3) down at the initial delivery of materials and commencement of work.
Another third about midway through the job and then the final third upon
completion and dependent on your acceptance of the final work product. Make
sure that "customer satisfaction" or words to that effect are written or
understood before final payment. Also, on a job that big, I would have the
contract specify a reasonable end date. Holding back $$$ is all the
leverage that you're going to have.
The deposit isn't too bad, but the payment of $19,200 before ANY work is
done is not advisable at all.
A more fair approach would be about $15,000 after 1/3 is done, additional
$15k after 2/3, and the balance 2 weeks after completion.
It would be nice if both parties could agree on the designation of a third
party such as a home inspector or roof inspector, to be the arbiter of the
completion schedule. Talk to your banker, who may suggest the third party,
with industry experience that could be helpful. Your roofer may be made
to feel more secure if you could put the money up with your bank, to be held
in trust pending percentage completion, as confirmed by the bank's
verification of the work done. You may also want to talk to your county
building inspector for ideas and suggested inspectors.
One of the very most important aspects of your job now is to make absolutely
sure that you comply with the Mechanic's Lien Law of your state. If you
don't, you could end up paying twice, once to the Contractor and secondly to
roof suppliers of materials and laborers. Once again, your bank would know
how to meet these requirements. In most states, you need to file a Notice of
Commencement, and then obtain what is called a Contractor's Affidavit,
before you make the
interim and final payments. The Contractor has to swear under oath that he
has paid everyone else, before he accepts payments from you.
You need to consult with a Lawyer in your area, and/or with your bank.
These are only general ideas, and please follow the advice of your lawyer.
Good Luck !
Not sure if this helps, but when we ship products internationally, we use an
irrevocable letter of credit. In a nutshell, this is something set up at a
bank where the customer deposits the money at the time of the order, but the
seller cannot withdraw it until the order is filled. There is a cost to set
something like this up, but it might be worth looking into.
I have been in the contracting business for 24 yrs. My early years I was
afraid of getting stuck with non-payment and would prepare my contracts
similar to what has been proposed to you. After almost going out of
business because of proposals (people not trusting me) I had to drastically
change my ways. My payment terms now are something like: $100.00 to bind
the contract, 1/3 down when all material on job site at the end of the first
working day. 1/3 when 1/2 complete, balance upon satisfactory inspection by
the city inspector.
That is a bunch of $$$ to entrust to someone new in the business.
Payment terms are subject to negotiation just like price.
If the terms are unacceptable to you, offer different terms.
If he doesn't accept them, then you have to use a different contractor.
I worked for a small company with serious cash flow problems; we would work
much cheaper for someone who paid in advance because that is what we needed.
You lay your money down and take your chances.
Never pay up front, no deposits, no progress payments except on big jobs
and then only significantly behind what has been completed. Half the
job is not worth half the money. Pallets of unused materials are not
worth a dime on a dollar to you.
If the contractor can't afford to advance the materials, then he isn't
solvent enough to be trusted, and this is not somebody you want to deal
with. Same with the job expenses. Someone has to provide the financial
liquidity for the project, and you take that on at your peril.
Your debt to the contractor for work performed is secured by liens.
Your advances to him are not.
If the cheaper bids are from outfits that insist on advances, then the
reason is almost certainly that they are counting on not having to
perform and weaseling out of details.
Contractors will moan and act like this is unreasonable. The fact is,
getting paid is their incentive, and you can't give that up until they
have performed. You want a big final payment to insure the last details
are properly finished. Contractors are masters of haggling and
disputes, that is what they do; you are the amateur. Once you give up
the money, you are snookered.
Then don't agree to them. You may get the contractor to change them,
or you may have to find another contractor, but it's your money.
Spend it in a way that makes you comfortable.
Actually, the above schedule is fair, and close to what would be
customary around here. 10% down, half the balance on delivery of
materials and half on completion of work. The cost of materials is
covered that way for when you don't pay the balance, and you have the
materials if the contractors doesn't complete the work. Locally on a
job this size you'd probably see 10% down, 40% on delivery of
materials, 40% on passing final inspection and 10% within 30 days of
completion or the customer signing off on the job.
I would want to see invoices for materials delivered and some form of
guarantee that the material has been paid for before advancing the money.
Also the material would have to be adequately secured at the job site so it
doesn't "walk away" after you have paid for it.
Although some payment for material on site is normal, you want to ensure
you haven't paid too much in advance of the value of materials in place,
i.e. value of work in progress with a good reserve for unfinished work. If
your contractor walked after "75% complete, it would cost you much more
than 25% of the contract value to replace him.
At the completion of the work, it is common to hold back 2x the value of
incomplete or unsatisfactory work until the contract is complete and all
necessary approvals are given.
| I'm involved in getting bids for a roofing job on a group of
| condominiums. I have a bid for $42,650 which we will probably want to
| go with. We will be signing a contract in the next month, but the job
| won't be started for 5 to 6 months. there are reasons for the delay
| which have to do with the nature of the job and our ability to extract
| a special assessment from the home owners.
| The contractor, a relatively new firm that has been in existence for
| two years, is asking for payment as follows:
| 1. Deposit of $4,250
| 2. Payment at commencement of work in the amount of $19,200
| Commencement of work is defined as the delivery of materials or
| performance of labor.
| 3. Payment of $19,200 within two weeks after completion of job.
| Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm not too keen on those terms.
| Over half the job could conceivably be paid for before any significant
| work was completed. Any suggestions on what would be fair for both
| parties would be appreciated.
$42,000 is a lot of money.. if you borrow that from a homestead to build
a house(at one time you could get a house for that).. i built my house
in 1971 and the loan people(homdstead) had a contract written up for the
money to be issused to the builder when certain parts were completed..
they never gave him anything up front... dont do it.. a bigger company
can handle the materials without worrying about upfront money.. the
smaller guys cant get the stuff on credit and the $42,000 job is too
much for a place to give him credit for any length of time.. and if he
runs out then the money is gone... the contract i had with my homestead
loan company and the builder protected us(the lender and me) so even if
the builder left town and did not complete the job the money would not
go to him and we could get someone to finish the job.. matter of fact he
did not get the last $3,000 til one month after the house was completeed
and accepted by us.... see if you can get a copy of a loan companies
contract for a building loan... these people were in business since 1866
and never lost money like the savings and loan companies that went out
of business in the 1980.......from bad business practices....
I'd change things a little. At signing, a deposit of $500. (you don't want
him sitting on your money for six months) Additional deposit of $4000 three
days before delivery of materials.
Then, depending on how long the job is expected to take, three additional
payments of 1/3rd. Interesting that he wants a lot of up front, but will
give two weeks on the back end for final payment.
All of this is negotiable. You just don't want too much up front in case he
does not finish the job or makes for a lot of delays. .
About 12 years ago I paid a window installer $8000 for the job.
His "guys" were still working on the job, but it seemed like
they were going to be done in an hour or 2. He asked for the
money as he was leaving. After the carpenters left, I found
that the aluminum siding was not done right and virtually all of
the window were installed bad. On one window, if you leaned on
it, you would have pushed it right out of the frame. I called
him immediately, and as he didn't seems to care too much, I
stopped the check. He called me back a few days later and read
me the riot act ... "how dare I stop the check?" He did
finally, after many weeks, sent out a new sub-contractor that
was familiar with aluminum work but not with window
installation. They fixed the aluminum work to my satisfaction
and I remounted and insulated all 8 window units the proper way.
I learned my lesson, I now do it myself. If I do hire
someone, they get the remainder of the money when the job is
done to my satisfaction. BTW, this contractor has closed and
opened new companies several time leaving many unpaid debts ...
research you contractors.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
The large payment of $19,200. on commencement of work would indicate
that the roofer doesn't have the money to buy the materials nor does
he have the credit terms with his Supplier to be able to pay for the
materials in 30 days. That could be because it is a fairly new firm
who has not qualified for credit terms yet or it could be that the
roofer has a bad track record of paying his bills. I would check out
his credit rating with one of the major credit bureaus and if you
haven't already done so, get some job references from a year to two
back and check their satisfaction. Also, contact the major Roofing
Material Supply companies in your area and ask them if they would
recommend dealing with this guy or do they have someone better that
they could recommend. Is this guy cleancut or does he look like a
If you give him $19K before starting the job, he is in the driver's
seat. Roofers are notoriously bad business managers and many have
severe alcohol and drug problems and are unreliable. Especially if
they have $19K in their pocket.
Another suggestion - roofing is fairly straitfoward materials-wise. Why don't
YOU provide / supply the material yourself, and take the materials ordered/
delivered/ paid on credit issues completely out of the equation and just have
the contractor provide the manpower?
Several thoughts, Jeff.
Check with other condominiums in your city. What have they done?
$42 thousand is not a big job.
Do you not have professional management to advise on these things? If
not, get a real estate and construction lawyer. Very cheap
The terms do not strike me as particularly onerous or unusual. One
thing missing is a hold back -- generally 15 - 20% for 45 days (or
whatever the period for filing mechanic's liens is in your area.)
Another is a mechanism for resolving disputes -- ie arbitration.
I'd be less concerned about his being around only two years and more
concerned about his reputation and ability to perform.
All things are negotiable -- he's trying to cover himself in case you
don't pay (many condominiums here have very poor reputations with
contractors). Could he post a performance bond?
See the third paragraph!
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.