pull up linoleum for wood fllooring

Hi, I'm purchasing a 1923 bungalow with heart of pine flooring everywhere except the dining room and kitchen, which have linoleum, and I want wood floors in the dining room. I've looked at a cutaway of the floor (which is over a crawlspace) and there is a bottom layer of tongue and groove wood (which may be the same heart of pine that's elsewhere in the house), some kind of plastic or fabric overlay, and then the linoleum. I know that the wood underneath may not be in suitable shape for flooring, but I figure unless I want a step up from the rest of the house, I'm going to need to remove the linoleum anyway--if the wood's in good shape, it's a bonus; if not, I just install it. Anyone experienced with this or have any advice? Thanks-- Kirsten

Reply to
k conover

step up? install hardwood flooring right over lino. make all doorway transitions with built in thresholds (flooring) this way you only step up on 1 side (into room)

otherwise after removing lino and installing hardwood you would have to install a threshold anyway and you would have to step over it on both sides.

Reply to
3GCPO