3" Dryer vent ok?

I am putting a dryer vent up through a wall and out through the sill. There is only 3.5" space in the wall so I want to put in a 3" aluminum dryer vent and a

4"-to-3" converter on the dryer. Is this ok?

Otherwise, is an indoor lint-trap style vent ok? I use the dryer rarely. Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

jeff

Nehmo Can't you flatten the pipe a bit? It would then retain roughly the same cross-sectional area. I really wouldn't want to choke the dryer exhaust pipe by going down to 3". I also wouldn't recommend venting to the inside with one of those lint-trap things.

There's also no real reason you should restrict the placement of the pipe to *inside* the wall.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

No. There are two choices that are best..one, a premade section of pipe with the same flow as a 4 inch round that is made for fitting between wall studs in this type of install...or put the 4inch in and flatten it slightly.....and re-drywall over it.

Nope...hate em..partucularly in the summer months..when you DONT want another 3 gallons of water vapor added to teh air.

Reply to
CBHvac

jeff

Nehmo Actually the 6" di. is 87% as large as the rectangular, but a home dryer has a 4" diameter vent anyway. Your rectangular is more than twice as large as a 4" di. ...So, is there no insulation in the wall?

jeff

The flexable aluminum venting may be squished a bit for that 3&1/2"

Nehmo If the vent in that pic is 4" in diameter, then I want that pair of those glasses for my pet hippopotamus.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Actually

3 1/4" x 10" is equal to 7" round NOT 6".

_\ \ \ | / / / _ ( ' 0 - - 0 ' )

-----ooO----(__)----Ooo----- 3GCPO

I'll wait here while you get a clue

Reply to
3GCPO

I hope your not asking me....I an a different jeff to the OP!

Here is a pair ~0^0~ ;)

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I used a 3" vent pipe with a 4:3-inch converter to the dryer. Works very well. The run from the dryer through the roof is about 13 feet. You won't like the indoor lint trap. You'll get a lot of hot, moist air pumped into your house and the lint trap will clog frequently and you'll find lint coating your walls. Been there, done that.

Reply to
fatman985

Here is a test to see if your 3 inch "works very well". Disconnect the dryer, climb up on the roof with a leaf blower and blow down your dryer vent. Better yet, have someone else do it while you look at what comes out of the bottom of the vent.

Reply to
andy asberry

I think that most dryer vents are rarely installed to get maximum performance and with least lint build up. The length of the vent from dryer to exit point should be as short as possible. I had a hole drilled thru my foundation to shorten the vent to about 8 to 10 feet and the dryer time now takes about half the time. I had considered the indoor but too many had discouraged me from doing this. Also this works with water to pick up the lint and needs regular cleaning and not to mention the additional moisture that is considerable. Most builders will use the easiest route for a vent even if it means 30 feet or more of vent. If you consult your dryer manufacturer thay usually recomend a maximum length for your vent for maximum performance. A vent to long may also damage your dryer. The $100 I spent for having a hole drilled thru my foundation for the vent was the best investment I ever made. Daniel Martin

Reply to
D.Martin