Retrofit old coal fireplace

Me again, with the 1923 bungalow (you'll probably be seeing a few posts from me!). The fireplace in my house has been bricked up and actually the chimney was lopped off at the roof line (there's no chimney in the attic or above). Has anyone out there retrofitted one of these fireplaces (that originally burned coal) to wood-burning or gas log burning fireplace. I know there's be extra cost to put the chimney back in, but really would love a working fireplace... Thanks, Kirsten

Reply to
k conover

k conover

Wood burning fireplaces and coal fireplaces traditionally had different designs. That is, the firebox itself would be constructed using different plans/designs if the fireplace was to burn wood vs. coal. It would probably be easiest to convert it to a gas log. You might be able to install a wood burning stove and use the fireplace and/or mantel as a "mounting platform.

If you want the chimney rebuilt, you will need a qualified mason to redo it. You could use a stainless steel chimney if appearance is not an issue for a lot less money. Start by calling some masons in your area and see what they think of rebuilding the chimney. If you get three masons to come over, at least one will know enough about firebox design to help you with that issue. Get some prices, go from there.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Perhaps you could place a certified woodstove on the mantle and run stainless chimney liner up the old chimney, with triple walled pipe out the attic and roof.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Along this same line, I have two back to back corner fireplaces in my 130 year old Victorian. It would appear that they were originally coal fireplaces based on the size of the fireboxes. A recent inspection of the chimneys by a chimney sweep told us that we should not be burning anything in the fireplaces until we get the chimneys lined. Any thoughts on a good way to solve this problem? I've seen ads in This Old House for stainless steel inserts and "pumped" in concrete. Is this the only way to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance, Joe

Reply to
Joseph A. Rich