Moving a sidewalk slab?

I've got one slab of sidewalk, about 30x48, that has drifted away from the front porch. I'm looking for techniques to force it back, about 2", if possible.

Drive a wedge into the ground in front of it, and periodically pound it further into the soil?

Attach a come-along to an edge, and slowly winch it closer?

Use a big ass pry bar and brute force?

Watcha think?

Reply to
Martin

think you better denote if that measurement you gave is in inches or feet...

Reply to
the_plumber

I would use the mower deck that probably unaligned it in the first place.. hehe..

just thought i'd throw some humor in there (sorry if everyone is all serious)

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

if its inches(30 X48 ) you might be able to wedge it back, but whats gonna hold it in place once you get it where you want it??? might want to get some rebars about 2 to 3 ft. long and drive then into the ground infront it it to stop it from moving any further... what condition is the ground under it???? pretty sloppy probably if it let the concrete travel or is it gravity taking it away from where it was located??? find out and fix the problem.... if its 30 by 48 feet then forget it, you would need a crane to move it and would probably crack just about every three or four feet area.... why not just support it from moving any further and get a few back of ready mix and patch up the

2 inchs that it moved from????
Reply to
jim

Total wt ~ 500 lbs. coeffecient of friction with soil < 1 total force required should be less than 500 lbs. If you have something stout to pull against the comealong should make quick work of the job. Wedges should also work. Mmmm...dig a hand width trench down to the bottom of the slab and get two of your friends on each end and four on the side and just lift in back into place. A case of beer or two should do it.

Regards,

John

Reply to
JTM