Problem with garage door

Our garage door has started doing something weird. About 4 out of 5 times when we close it, it opens again. It will go all the way down, then open. When we close it the second time it always stays down.

We are not the least bit handy and don't know what we should do. I hate to call someone in if the fix is fairly simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
googlemail2003

Sounds like you need to increase the "down pressure" adjustment just slightly. If you're not the least bit handy, then look up the instructions for your particular opener and have someone who is do it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

It depends on what make and model your garage door opener is. Please provide this information and I am sure some here can assist you. I found this web site which may help you a bit in the mean time......it has many models of openers and troubleshooting tips for each.

avid_hiker

It depends on the make and model of your garage door opener what the fix would be.....for example, if it were a Genie , which I have....once in a while I have to align the laser lights to point at one another.....these would be located on either side of the door on the floor.

Force alignment or a open limit adjustment may be needed.

Provide us with your make and model and I am sure that someone here can help you out.

Take a look here.....this may help a bit.

Dean

Reply to
avid_hiker

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Your electric eye may be dirty or misaligned.

Reply to
GoHabsGo

Don't laugh, I had the same problem, and it ends up a branch of a fern plant near the garage door was pushed into the path of the "electric eye" by the door. :)

Reply to
Devin Dow

Most likely, it's the down limit or down force adjustment. Find the manual for your unit and do the adjustment.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks all for the replies. Unfortunately our door opener is very old and was here when we moved in 18 years ago. There's no manual.

We tried tightening all the bolts on the door and that seemed to help.

Chances are a new opener is in our future.

Thanks again.

Reply to
googlemail2003

There is a pressure adjustment no matter the brand. Can you post the brand and model? The manuals are online.

Reply to
Steve Barker

That makes it sound like the problem is with the door and not the opener.

Reply to
clifto