PRIVATE WELL SYSTEM

MY PRIVATE WELL SYSTEM PUMP WILL ONLY SHUT ON AND OFF WHEN THERE IS 20# OF PRESSURE. WHEN I INCREASE TO 50# OF PRESSURE IT RUNS CONSTANTLY AND SOMETIMES LOSES PRIME. PLEASE HELP.

Reply to
AWRATHER

fix the leaks

Reply to
Rapid

And the Caps Lock

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Exactly. Most likely you have a leak somewhere between you air tank and your well pump or well pump. If you are losing your prime you might even have a bad foot valve (a check valve type thing) on your well pump end. First, is this a shallow dug well or a deep drilled well. Secondly, are you using a jet pump in your basement/structure or a submersible well pump.

If you give more details we might be able to give you some troubleshooting steps to narrow down your problem.

Reply to
jackson

Need more details as someone elso asked. Also, what are your pressure settings? The 'needing 20# pressure' sounds like you have a pressure switch with a low pressure cut-off. There is probably a lever or a button you have to push and hold until pressure builds past the 20#. The 'no shut off after 50# could be a bad pressure switch, a pump that won't build pressure past that point (worn out). Loss of prime says you have a leak somewhere in the pipe. Probably in the well, and most likely a bad foot valve (I am assuming you do not have a submersible pump).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K