Pressure Washing, And Stain Color On A Wooden Deck ?

Hello:

Moved into a house that has a wooden deck. It apparently was stained brown, and the brown stain color is in fairly good condition.

I guess these types of stains are nothing more than a surface treatment, although it might be absorbed a little) also ?

But, the deck is really "dirty and grimy"

So, I guess I'll do a pressure washing of it, and apply a new deck stain.

Have never used a pressure washer on a deck before.

Was wondering if the washing is "likely" to remove any of the brown stain color, or can I just assume it will only clean off the surface dirt ?

I'm asking as I would like to re-apply a clear stain, and not have to worry about matching to the existing brown color.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Washing will remove some stain, but stain does seep into the wood unlike paint.

Clear stains (even the ones with UV protection) are not as good as those with some pigment. Getting a stain that is close in color should be good enough.

Reply to
Phisherman

"Robert11" wrote

Bob,

Before you rent a pressure washer and destroy your deck, I suggest doing a lot of reading.

Josh

Yeah, solid color stains are most effective for decks... then semi-transparent... clear stains are least effective.

Stain soaks in -- paint forms a film on top.

Main points about pressure washing -- getting the tip too close will chew up the wood. you'll want to do one [maybe 2, depending on tip used] board at a time, from end to end. move in one, long continuous motion. starting and stopping will show overlap marks and staining afterward won't look good.

You could change color, though going with something much different may allow the brown to show through some.

Reply to
Hopkins