Good scrub down vs power washing deck

We are going to restain the deck. Before we do so, we are trying to decide if we want to power wash it or just use some deck cleaner. If the latter.. .any suggestions as to kind

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

are =EF=BF=BDtrying to

scrub brush with deck cleaner.

pressure washing can damage woood easy:(

Reply to
bob haller

There is a bleaching type cleaner. It helps lighten the wood color. Use a Nylon brush.

Power washing can be DONE wrong.

I guess the wood needs to dry, before the stain is applied.

Reply to
Oren

I was in the same dilemma when I did my deck last summer, therefore, I did both. I scrubbed with a solution and deck brush. After it dried, I cold still see that black residue on some boards. Then I borrowed a friends powerwasher and what a difference. I also tried the bleach solution on a few boards and it definitely brightens the boards. If you use it, use it all evenly over the entire deck, otherwise, I believe the powerwashing will be fine.

The secret to NOT damaging the deck during powerwashing is spraying distance from boards and constant movement. The distance will be determined by the power of the spray and never stay in one area. It was the first time for me and I didn't have a problem. Of course, my deck was only a year old. Using a PW on older rotted wood can spray off much of the decaying spots and pit the boards. This is where you really have to be careful. There is a device you can attach to the wand of the sprayer to keep a constant distance from the wood. It contains wheels and you roll it along and the same distance all over.

Overall, it wasn't bad at all. Just make sure you pick a sunny week. It'll requires 24 to 48 hours for the deck to dry then another 48 to 72 for the stain to dry, though, depending on type of stain.

Good luck

Reply to
SBH

Scrubbing is probably all you need. Power washing can do a lot of damage if you don't know how to do it. It can cut grooves and tear up the grain.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

1/2 cup TSP 1/2 cup household bleach 1 gallon warm water

Dissolve the TSP in water, add bleach, use in a garden sprayer. Wear old clothing.

Reply to
Phisherman