Precut Houses

My parents had a precut house put up years ago. The two guys who came to put it together took maybe 3 days to get it roughed in if I remember right. Are precut houses at all common now?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

They're available but I don't know how common they are. There are a couple of places down the valley that make log homes. They build the house on their lot without nailing it in, disassemble, and ship it like an adult version of Lincoln Logs.

Reply to
rbowman

I've never heard that term before.

This home came on < 7 ? > flatbed trucks :

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4075379,-80.9504345,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUgmrV66WdLyP2lkqdYvnow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en The foundation was poured & ready ; the pre-manufactured pieces were craned on ; I'm not sure if the roof was framed on-site or partially pre-made. attach the wires & pipes inside ; brick the outside ; move in ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

There are a couple of videos on the process. It's not exactly precut, but the houses are built, disassembled, and shipped to the owners site.

Precuts are similar but with conventional framing materials. I assume they use jigs instead of all hand fitted but you get a paint by numbers kit with most of the frames ready to be put together rather than cut on site.

There is a similar technique where panels are framed and skinned ready to erect.

Reply to
rbowman

This is a Capp home built around 1970. I think it came on a single flatbed trailer. No crane to lift pre built rafters because there weren't any. The roof is the old simple double pitch style. My dad insisted on that part because simple meant less chance of leaks. Our neighbor wired it. Code? Mom decided where she wanted the outlets. The light switches are in the usual spots by the doors. I think the outlet in the bathroom is part of the light. The wiring is 12-2 with ground so at least that's ok. Dad called a few neighbors when it was time to shingle. The guys would trade labor sometimes. Farmers still picked corn in the ear so corn shelling was one of those.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

We stayed in a cabin in South Dakota that was on a lot where they did that. It was interesting watching the process

These days they do more modular homes where they truck in road worthy sized parts of the house and put them together. If you looked at my BIL's 2 story 3000 sq/ft house you would never think it came in on a truck.

Reply to
gfretwell