OT. Weather Delay at Indoor Stadium

There was a weather delay at the SoFi Stadium in Los Angelos. It was delayed because of lightning in the area. It has some openings at the top to let a breeze come through.

Where were all the lightning rod salesmen?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Los Angeles (Note spelling) gets lightning perhaps once every five or ten years.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

This couldn't be the only lightning storm they're going to have, could it?

Reply to
micky

It's been maybe a week or ten days since the last thunderstorm in my area. They might hit every couple weeks in the spring here. Building an indoor arena without lightning protection might be considered a design flaw in the central U.S. The sound of thunder in the distance is relaxing. It's a little like a train horn. People in Los Angeles. (got it) are missing out.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'm not an expert on lightning protection, but I'll bet SoFi stadium has a bunch of it. However, that may not mean that the fans are safe during a thunderstorm.

Yes, the openings are at the "top" but that's only because portions of the stadium are below ground. I believe that parts of the stadium are 90' below ground with about 150' above ground.

In essence, those "openings at the top" appear to be extend all the way from the ground to the roof as shown in this picture (taken of my TV on Monday night). If I'm not mistaken, both sides are essentially wide open.

Even knowing that lightning rods were in use, I don't know that I would want to be sitting 'out in the open' next to the open walls during a storm.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

so it has a roof but mostly no walls!

Reply to
micky

I got up maybe 3 am to go to the bathroom when thunder almost knocked my socks off. The house shook. Worst I have ever heard. It woke up my wife and she was surprised we still had power.

I recall my first trip to LA in January where temperature was going down to maybe 50. A waiter said he had a down jacket. What a bunch of ninnies.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Just a suggestion, do not fry pancakes in an electric fry pan during events like this.

Reply to
Thomas

In Florida, it is actionable if you don't. For about 6 months of the year, if you don't hear thunder almost every day you are getting new batteries for your hearing aid. Ass kicking thunderstorms with "flash/bang" lightning* is a regular occurrence.

*the time between the flash and bang is negligible.
Reply to
gfretwell

I would be surprised if they did. The only lightning death near LA I can find was on Venice Beach. They only had 33 in the whole state in the last 60+ years and they were almost all in the mountains.

I suspect this was simply an over reaction. Someone heard thunder 10 miles away and they panicked. BTW it doesn't sound like anyone actually left their seats so that part is meaningless.

Reply to
gfretwell

Unless you have a 10 gauge contractor grade extension cord ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Wouldn't lightning protection protect the millions of dollars worth of electronics installed at the $5B stadium?

No one panicked. They followed the NFL protocol. I *think* they follow the default guidelines: "30-minute rule. Once play has been suspended, wait at least 30 minutes after the last thunder is heard or lightning is witnessed prior to resuming play"

The fact that people don't leave their seats doesn't make the weather delay meaningless. It removes the NFL from liability once they invoke the delay.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Watching a taped show from last December, and I saw an ad for Verizon with pictures of a half-dozen stadiums, that ended with a picture of this stadium. I never would have known where it ws if it not for your post, above.

Reply to
micky