power invertor

I've not taken apart my ETQ, but I suspect it has aluminum cylinder block and no sleeve. My guess is that one is good for 100 hours or so.

But, that's just a guess. A good engine with steel cylinder wall may last longer. Guessing, still.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I bet a lot of people in the south would LOVE to have a window AC and generator.

Furnace on a cord and plug is excellent idea. I've heard the National Electric Code calls for hard wired. Not sure why, the cord and plug is great for power cuts and generators.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I believe we covered this topic last year or 2 years ago...you probably posted to it. But how would you know?

Reply to
bob_villain

bob_villain

The disc camera was just a blip on the radar of camera history - and a terribly mediocre one at that. Pretty hard to get any quality on, what was it - 6mm negative???

Reply to
clare

That depends on the brand. A lot of the cheap 4 stroke engines only have an advertized lifespan of 300 hours. Some of the cheap chinese 2 strokes are even less.. There are some 2 strokes that will run almost forever - but we are talking cheap 2 stroke gensets - not something like an echo chainsaw.

A pressure lubricated OHV 4 stroke Honda Clone is good for 1500 hours, more or less, The high end Honda, Yamaha and Subaru Robin engines, with proper oil changes etc, are good for 3000 +/-

Reply to
clare

Your guess this time is pretty much bang on. Take an Echo chain saw engine, or some of the other high end 2 stroke saws and run them in a clean environment with proper fuel/oil mix and they will go almost forever.

Run a cheap 2 stroke "emission controlled" engine (meaning non ajustable jets and running lean) more than 10 hours at a time at over half load and you are lucky to get 100 hours out of it. Half an hour or an hour at a time, mabee 200 if you are real lucky.

Reply to
clare

That 80K BTU furnace will in all likelihood have a 1/2HP induction motor for the blower and draws a peak of about 1400 watts for a second or more to get the blower up to speed (almost 12 amps). One reason why a furnace is required to be installed on a dedicated circuit.

That means running it draws 60+ amps from the battery - starting draws about 125 amps.

The new DC blowers draw a lot less on startup because they "soft start" - and are more efficient when they are running as well.

Reply to
clare
[snip]

That's what happened when I tried it. Gas valve opened, flame came on, everything was OK until the blower started. Inverter showed overload immediately. That was the night of the ice storm. I was in a new (for me) house, and that's when I discovered I had gas logs.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

My furnace (80K BTU natural gas) is on a "semi-dedicated" circuit. The only other things on that circuit are the doorbell and a CO alarm.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

As far as the question of how the reliance power-back works - I can confirm it is a VOLTAGE semsor, not a current sensor, and it works just fine with an interlock.

Sinse that discussion I have replaced my fuse panel with a breaker pannel with an interlock and power-back. I can now connect my new 7200 watt tri-fuel genset to the house and run anything I need.. On gasoline or propane I can get 7200 watts - on Natural Gas I get 5000 max.

Reply to
clare

Which most inspectors would totally miss and a few others might just possibly allow.. Not 100% code compliant - but reasonable.

Reply to
clare

I've always used my cordless drill with my Kreg pocket hole jig. Ironically, I always use the slowest speed setting on the drill. I only use pocket holes for cabinet face frames so the holes aren't seen anyway. It doesn't matter to me if they're a bit jagged as no one sees them. A little sanding takes care of any rough edges.

My corded Dewalt DW246 has a max 600RPM. It's geared for torque, not high speed. It works great for heavy duty operations like large auger bits or mixing mortar. It has incredible torque for such a small package. If I don't brace the support handle against a stud when drilling a large 2-1/4" hole it can cause some serious injury when the bit hits a knot. I bruised my leg a few times before I figured that one out. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I can't help but wonder "why" a person needs an electric jack? I've only used my car jack one or two times in the last 30+ years. If I have a flat on the side of the road, it's bad enough to pull out the jack and the spare tire. Having to hook up an electrical cable and hope the motor works is one less hassle I can do without. It's not that hard to hand crank a car jack for the few times it's needed.

For working in the garage, a standard floor jack is much safer and faster.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

its a matter of convenience for me.

besides, I bust a few tires every 2 or 3 years.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

the issue with cordless drill is with the battery. you have to keep it charged up.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

this might be moot.

I just remembered that my truck has a scissors jack with a built in handle. I don't know if that can be removed to use the power drill.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

As I remember (my Dad had a small part in the manufacture of the disk cameras, and I worked on the assembly line as a summer hire, one year) the disk was supposed to be comparable to the Instamatics of the time. Which was not saying much. I don't remember the size, but that sounds right.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I made the mistake of running my ETQ 1200 out of gas a couple times. Now it's got a noticable piston rod knock. And only starts with ether.

What are some of the symptoms of worn out? I'd guess low compression, and not much power. Curious what to look for in my machine. Sounds like you'd know what for me to expect.

Mine has maybe 10 hours or so of run time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Anything can be removed.

Reply to