power invertor

Most furnaces are 50,000BTU and up. A few of the mobile home units are as small as 25000 or 30000BTU

Reply to
clare

My 3 bedroom 2 storey plus finished basement has a 35,000/55,000BTU 2 stage furnace here in Ontario Canada and IT is oversized. (the house is a draft free and reasonably well insulated 40+ year old brick and aluminum siding structure)

Reply to
clare

Why label me as sarcastic? Is that what you desire?

- . Christ>> Oh, wow. What a pile of money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm a believer in having some energy source on hand. I never have total confidence in the power and natural gas supply.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lot of factors in sizing a furnace. Windows, insullation, and so on. I'm pleased to hear your home is well made. Mine, well, less so.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Doh! I didn't look at the label.

Are you sure it's "most"? (just asking, not arguing)

I have 4 vehicles. The 3 Honda's are all fused at 15 and the manuals spec the ports at 10. I'm not sure about the Ford, it's away at school getting a Master's degree.

So, in my world, "most" (if not all) of my vehicles are fused at 15, not 20. That's why I ask.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why have you gone back to non-conventional top-posting after recently complaining about very-conventional in-line posting?

Why won't you answer my simple question about what you meant by your "pile of money" response?

Why don't I think I'm going to get a direct answer to any of my questions?

Reply to
DerbyDad03
[snip]

Mine requires 5A (600W).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I used my generator when power was out for several days after the tornado in May 2015. In that case, it was hot so I used a window air conditioner on it. Of course it wouldn't cool the whole house, but I could go in the kitchen to cool off.

There was another time I needed the furnace. When I bought this house, the furnace had a cord and plug. When I had it replaced 3 years ago, the new one was connected with a cord and plug. It would be easy to use that on a generator.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Output is 900W maximum, 700W continuous according to the ad I have here. I wonder if you could use a drill on that.

Like this one:

Its easy to carry and quiet with a small load.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Yes, I'm remembering a power outage during an ice storm. That hot shower felt really good. It'd good to have a gas water heater.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Ranger power point and lighter fuses are both 20 amp. 2002 Taurus, same. The PT cruiser manual says the same.. My daughter's 2001 Civic has a 15 amp fuse for the "power outlet". Other daughter's 2014 Elantra has 15 amp "power outlet". 2014 F150 "cig lignter" 20 amp.

2012 Ram 2500 diesel - power outlet and cig lighter SHARE 20 amp fuse. 2005 Chevy Silvarado, GMC Sierra and Chevy Suburban, Tahoe etc - 20 amp fuse for Aux Power outlet. 2014 Sonata - 20 amp for Cig Lighter.

Just for quick starters.

Reply to
clare

Lifespan is about 150-200 hours max.

Reply to
clare

Ah. Much, much bigger. I got 769 on my math SATs and majored in math but can't remember numbers more than a few minutes.

Reply to
Micky

If the power goes out next winter, I can cook but only outside in the snow.

Reply to
Micky

I'll work on that.

Reply to
Micky

700 watts is about 6 amps. The HF drill says 3 point something amps. So, yes, should run a drill rather nicely.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard that about some small consumer model gas engines. Makes for an hour a month for ten years.

When Kodak made disk film cameras, I think they built them for 120 disks. Figuring a disk a month for ten years. Not even sure you can get disk film any more. Between instamatic, 35 MM, and then digital, the disk film cameras are totally obsolete.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm fortunate to have gas stove, and gas water heater. Those were both totally appreciated during the winter power cut.

After the four day power cut, I bought a marine battery and power inverter. Figured I could have an hour of furnace before bed time. Quietly, would not alert the neighbors "hey! fatty has a generator!". Turns out the generator did not have enough starting current to run the blower wheel. I did try spin it by hand to get it going. Still no joy. The replacement furnace has a circuit board. I don't want to risk that to modified sine power supply.

I did call the company that makes the furnace, to ask if it would run on mod sine. They suggested I check with the parts house where I bought it. The "would you like fries with that" people are not likely to know the technical details of the circuit board.

Also likely the DC power wires to the battery were under sized.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They commonly run for thousands of hours.

Reply to
Vic Smith