Pot hole filler for asphalt

I have a container of pot hole filler for my driveway that is almost full. I haven't used it in about 8 years and it has become hard and granular like sugar that has gone hard.

Is there a secret way to soften it so it can be still used, or should I just throw it out?

TIA

Reply to
GoogaICQ

Try sitting it out in the hot sun!!!!

Reply to
fred.flintstone

No, just as there is no secret way to make hardened glue fresh and usable to stick things together again...

Nor as much as people would like to be able to do reanimate dried paint, etc... Welcome to the world of industrial chemistry...

The chemical reaction which hardens the pot hole filler has taken place and can not be undone...

Properly dispose of it and obtain a new supply...

Reply to
Evan

Thanks Evan for helping out! I was going to try fred's suggestion (the sun) but now it seems it would be futile.

I will follow your advice.

A few more questions. re: the chemical reaction you mentioned that hardens the filler. When does it begin and how long does it last? Does it begin when the stuff is made? When the container is opened? How long before the stuff becomes unusable? Shelf-life, before after opening? TIA

Reply to
GoogaICQ

If it is asphalt, it will melt with heat. Maybe original patch material had solvent in it to keep it soft but assuming no chemistry to cure it, it is still most likely to be heat soften-able. Asphalt can be recycled by heat.

Reply to
Frank

The kind of heat required to do anything with cured asphalt would melt the plastic can it is contained in and make a mess...

It is neither worth the effort nor will the product be useful if he were able to get it softened...

With actual asphalt from a paving plant you might have a point but not with the stuff which comes in the plastic cans for driveway repairs, those are loaded with all kinds of stabilizers which begin to react once exposed to air...

That stuff is buy only what you need to do an immediate repair...

Reply to
Evan

So I _can still get use out of it. :)

Reply to
GoogaICQ

I don't know if his can is plastic and of course it would take more heat than the plastic could take. I'm just suggesting the option to try heat.

Reply to
Frank