Well that pot hole has been fixed then

FFS

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them a bollocking. The darker stuff higher up was laid down two weeks ago.

If you are blind then it a picture of a pot hole that has not been fixed properly.

Reply to
ARW

Looks like they only sent a bloke with a single bag of cold-lay tarmac ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Probably the same bloke that painted up to front and back of the parked up car with the yellow lines and never came back to finish the job off.

I assume that these double yellow lines are unenforceable.

Reply to
ARW

He should have painted over the car.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm not sure what they use for surfacing roads these days, but my impression is that potholes are becoming more an more common. Near me there is a trunk A road which is managed by the Highways Authority, rather than the local council. That developed a series of potholes - for locals it became a memory test to remember the sequence of them and which way you needed to steer to avoid either clipping the kerb or going over the centre line. Those were patched several times but after a few weeks most of the tarmac had some out and we were back to square one. This is on a road which gets a lot of heavy traffic so they should have used a suitable repair.

They *can* get it right. When a lorry caught fire and melted a large patch of the road surface, the road was repaired overnight by an emergency team, and that bit of road is still as good as new after five years.

I think the problem is that they try to patch too small an area and don't manage to stick the new tarmac sufficiently well to the existing surface, so it comes out again. At the very least, they need to dribble tar around the border between old and new to act as a seal to prevent water seeping into the crack and doing the old freeze/thaw thing.

Of course you can't plan for idiots. There was a road in Scarborough along the seafront which was newly surfaced. The local lads in their souped-up cars like to parade up and down late and night, and then test their 0-60 acceleration. During a planned meet of car enthusiasts (all approved by the police and the local council), one member decided to do wheelspins and destroyed a large area of the surface. The organisers of the meeting were appalled at this, and did not hesitate to shop his identity to the police. There was talk of charging him the repair cost of the road...

NY

Looks like the road down from the station here!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Should nip along with a can of yellow floor paint and stick a couple of end bars to complete it :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

And this in a minor road that was resurfaced less than 8 years ago.

Reply to
ARW

I can do better than that, but no pictures. its in a dead end close called The Retreat in Surbiton in Surrey. its been there for five years and is the result of a botched job by the then called EDF Energy new feed to a building. The folk at the council claim they do not know where it is having sent out people to look, well according to my spies, it got painted by somebody in blue paint about 2 years ago, and nothing has been done since. I spoke to the council just after Christmas and they claimed it was the contractors issue not theirs, to which I pointed out that EDF no longer handle road works its London Power Networks now who I doubt even have records for this hole. They just told me they would look into it. Now most of the residents in that road know its there and have moaned several cab firms have reported it.

In the end I can see the cable being damaged and a big bang occurring, at which time London power networks will be asked to fix it. Have we really come down to this lark of its not my hole guv? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I started reading this link, but gave up, as it's rather lengthy.

The short story is that it can be harder to repair potholes than you'd expect. One reason is that there may be inadequate foundations, which is why the pothole appeared in the first place.

Reply to
GB

Hmm, Hot boxing seems to be whatever the council use these days. However there are some junctions between TFL roads and Kingstons roads where the person pulling out often needs to use a lot of power to get to the right side of the road as no sod will let them out and guess wheat? The bit of side road where they all hit the accelerator is breaking up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And, to be really naughty, add some kerb bars.

Reply to
Bob Eager

To be fair to Birmingham (?) I saw a "pothole" last Saturday that was about 6" deep, and it was filled in by Tuesday. Obviously it'll be shit before you know it, but I admire the dedication to pretence.

Really I should feel guilty. They relaid our (cul de sac) 6 years ago (road and pavement) and it's still in perfect nick.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think one cause is the force of HGV wheels turning when manoeuvring while stationary. They just start digging a pit and then water and ice rip it to shreds.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

As with all such cludges, carried out by Splodgitt, Bodgitt and Scarper (very) Ltd.

Reply to
PeterC

They should ban power steering. Especially on cars. Wimps.

Reply to
Max Demian

:)

Reply to
Terry Casey

Call that a pothole... Around here they are a good 4" deep and will easily puncture a tyre.

Come to think of it there is a whole stretch of the A27 (a major trunk road - pretty much a motorway) where the current tarmac surface is delaminating from the concrete old surface underneath it and nothing has been done abou t it for years (someone counted 130 pot holes recently)

Reply to
philipuk

I'm sure thar Redbridge Borough Council used potholes as a source of revenue for paint endurance tests!

Several potholes had appeared in a much used side road. Then, one day, white paint appeared round all the potholes and we assumed they were to be repaired.

Over time, the paint gradually wore away and then a fresh paint application appeared! I think this happened three times in total - presumably to compare three different brands of paint - before the road was eventually resurfaced.

Reply to
Terry Casey

I destroyed £1000 quid of alloy and tyre in a pothole once.

Year ago when I used to commute to Brussels a section of raid outside Calais was missing 'Chausseé Deformé'...

two years later I went by the same route. It was still missing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher