Removing exterior paint splashes from brickwork

Hi

Has anyone had success removing excess paint splashes from brick work without causing too much damage to the bricks? If yes, how did you do it?

Thanks,

Clive

Reply to
clive.r.long

which type of paint?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Weathercote masonry paint.

Reply to
clive.r.long

Nitromors

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd in many cases take a flame to it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not on brick but from quarry tiles and cement grouting, which may have been a lot less porous than your brick.

I used a liquid paint stripper but initially made the mistake of trying to remove while the paint/stripper was still "wet" which just seemed to spread the problem.

I had a lot more success by applying the paint stripper which bubbled up the paint and then letting it thoroughly dry again. I then used a combination of a mechanical metal blade scrapper and a large dish-washing pan scourer to remove most of the paint.

The remaining thin "ghost" layer left was removed with liquid paint stripper applied with a wire wool type pan scrubber, disposable gloves and a bucket of water nearby to wash your hands and arms when the stripper splashes on the skin.

How much paint do you have to remove?

Reply to
alan_m

The decorator my parents used painted over them with brick coloured paint. There were so many that it looked like a natural feature of the bricks.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel