Portable Home Generator Questions

During power cut, it's very wise to cut the electric usage to the bone. On your list of essentials, furnace is nice for heat in the winter. Someone who needs 8K continuous run is trying to maintain a party life style during a depression era. Not wise.

Besides, all the neighbors will see all the lights, and come over to live there, and eat you out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can't say as I know of any "gasoline only" retail. Every one I know, has mini mart as part of the operation.

According to some, they would be in busines "because others have a need".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I cannot say I've ever heard of anyone who bought a generator to prepare for the next power cut. I may have, but sure can't remember. Most folks buy them during a power cut, for sure. The stores sell right out. I can't say as I remember anyone getting paid back for fuel, or for being given power as return kindness.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's your future experience on the matter?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One time at a friend's, the electrician left his generator running while he was doing some wiring. They plugged in a coffee maker, you could really hear the engine work harder. I can run a window ac 10,000 BTU, on my 2500 watt generator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I bought an ETQ generator off Ebay. Two cycle gas mixer. I was totally astounded, how quiet it was. I'd not want to leave a generator outdoors at night, too much risk of theft. But the ETQ is good for not disturbing the neighbors. Most generators are as noisy as a lawn mower.

How did you handle the three day summer outage? Cold showers?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I DID!! Bought one to be prepared many years ago!

Then added a couple more, a tiny one for quiet times, and a bigger one for bigger loads.Added a inverter later:)

My best friend did the same thing before a outage.

No offense but not everyone is unprepared!!

Reply to
hallerb

When you exercise a stationary generator, you want to run it long enough to boil away any raw gas or water that may be in the system. I installed quite a few Generac air and liquid cooled generators. My favorites are the 1800rpm liquid cooled units instead of the 3600rpm screamers which are either air or liquid cooled. Raw gas is not a problem with NG or LPG but moisture buildup in the exhaust system and crankcase can cause problems. Getting the whole thing warm tends to drive moisture out of every little nook and cranny which will help prevent corrosion of fasteners, electrical components and windings. One of the most vexing problems involved dirt/mud daubers building nests in every 1/4" opening on a generator especially vent tubes for the gas pressure regulators. This is solved by pinching the end of the tube down until it looks like a double barreled shotgun. Use it or lose it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Lotsa former stations around here that now do repairs only, and tanks have been decommissioned in place or removed. In most cases, tanks were end-of-life, and state and/or insurance underwriter said they would have to be replaced with modern expen$ive plastic 2-layer tanks with the seepage alarms and such. There are probably now only 25% as many gas stations that there were in 1960 or so, nationwide. I think there are maybe 3-4 traditional gas and service bay stations left in the town, almost all having converted the service bays to retail space, and most of those eventually replacing the building entirely.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It may be common practice, but frost isn't the issue. I have little to no dirt on a property and was thinking about relocating a 500 gal propane tank a little farther away from the house mostly for visual reasons, but also to make winter deliveries up a frequently icy drive easier.

I was thinking I'd have to have some expensive rock trenching done, but the local propane supplier said we could also just mound dirt over the line. The requirement is to protect from casual abrasion.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Well, yes. A window AC has to plug into a bedroom outlet, which means it can't draw more than 1800 watts.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Of course we are prepared for "Man Caused Disasters". There are many lawyers available to defend the MCD suspects and the government has a large supply of prayer rugs, white robes, funny little knit hats and the latest version of The Koran,...the one with the explosives making instructions in the back. The present administration is quite prepared to take all MCD suspects into custody and give them the same rights and considerations as The American People they are sworn to maim and kill. What's the problem? The Obomination is on top of it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Whenever there is some sort of disaster, entrepreneurs will load up trucks with all sorts of supplies to sell in the affected area but that was in the past. Now capitalists are charged with the crime of price gouging and often have their property confiscated by government types with guns. I thought it would be interesting to open a warehouse down in Florida well in advance of hurricane season and advertise things like batteries, generators, chain saws, etc at three times the going rate. No one would buy any until there was a disaster and when government types showed up to accuse you of price gouging, you can point out that your prices have been the same for months, what's the problem?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A fellow from Alaska got involved with a post about using similar fuels for heating and diesel engines along with jet fuel and kerosene for cross purposes. He said they brought fuel in by barge and didn't screw around with having too many categories of fuels. I wish one of our Alaskan friends would speak up and tell us all what will work.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You must be Mormons? Or survivalists? My confidence in humanity is restored.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As to abrasion. I'd be tempted to put PVC or Pex over the propane line, for improved shielding. It's a bit of a pain to trace propane or other gas leaks. Seeing as how it's working for you, that's good.

Put the tank closer for the delivery guy is very considerate. Especailly when you call for fill in the winter snow season.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Guy I know was bragging that he got a practically new generator at half price when he bought at HD as a return after a big outage.

Another point, made by guys at HD, is that in high demand periods, generators are made with a variety of motors and generating units. If you find a cheap unit with a Honda motor and a Generac power supply, you're finding a bargain. A Honda dealer had told me to look for the Generac part which is what came with my B&D PowerBoss.

After perusing thread, I started up my 4 year old unit yesterday as it had not been run in 3 months and it started on second pull of rope.

Reply to
Frank

Exposed, yes, burried no. Frost heaving can fracture the line if not properly installed. Frost can move the ground 2 to 4 inches in some cases, but not a consistant move, someplaces it moves less than an inch, other places much more. Frost is nasty that way!

Reply to
PeterD

The bush doctrine WE FIGHT THEM THERE SO WE DONT HAVE TO FIGHT THEM HERE.

Well after the NEXT major attack on US soil:(

It will get changed too:

Bring the military back from peaceful areas of the world like japan and germany, and put them to work HERE for stuff like border security.

our country is broke having given away its wealth buying energy for a generation, and shipping our manufacturing base and even phone support jobs overseas.

we can no longer afford to be the worlds cop......

now its time to protect ourselves.

Airport security and TSA is all about making us feel safe, not about real safety.

a couple terrorists with a SAM can take out us airliners at any time.

having a generator or two, sopme shelf stable food, drinkable water, etc is survivalism its just good common sense........

Reply to
hallerb

Folks in my neighborhood are getting prepared now. I was surprised when I found out how many are very serious about the turn of world events.

Reply to
Chuck