plastic piping question.

Wish to make modification on plastic pipe plumbing. The plastic pipe is terminated with copper tubing about 6 inches long. I want to extend this but am reluctant to solder because of the short distance to plastic pipe and heating. I am considering Shark Bite solderless connector to 1/2" copper tubing behind the dry wall. Would appreciate any advice or experience with Shark Bite connectors. Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson

Looks like a basic compression coupling. It should work if the pipe is round and not oval.

Reply to
Moe Jones

I'd solder. Wrap a wet rag on the 3" closest to the plastic. I don't want mechanical connectors behind the wall. You may also want to check the code on that too. I've not kept up, but at one time they were not allowed. This is from the Cash Acme web page

  1. If the product is to be installed in a concealed location, the applicable local authority must have inspected the system or

section of the system to be concealed prior to installation and confirmed the absence of any leaks.

All that said, I've used many hundreds of that type of connector on air lines with no problems. What is connecting the copper to the plastic? Perhaps you should eliminate that piece and connect your new line right to the plastic.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson