Gas Boiler

I plan to replace my old oil fired boiler with a new gas fired boiler in my home. What brand names should I look for? What should the cost be?

Thanks

Reply to
Brandystew

Cost varies with the contractor's overhead, the quality of the job, the size of the boiler, the efficiency of the boiler, the quality of the boiler, additional piping required, comfort improvements like zoning, etc

It is like asking: I am buying a new car, how much should it cost? Even within the same model, with options, the price can vayr considerably.

Get several bids.

BTW, the contractor should do a load calculation to determine the proper size if it is a hot water boiler. If it is a steam boiler, it should be sized to supply the connected radiation.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

Weil-McLain is the big name in cast iron boilers. Check their web site. I was considering a new 100,000 BTU hot water replacement unit and my plumber quoted $3,000 for the whole job including removing the old unit.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Go with the contractor, not the boiler. A great system can really be messed up by a sloppy installation.

Reply to
HeatMan

In the market for a new residential "draft venting" Gas Boiler.

Looking at a few options......Any suggestions would be great.

Weil-McLain CGa/5 Buderus G124X Laars Mini Therm JVS125

Should I go with standing pilot or ignition?

The AFUE on these units are about the same (in the 82-84% range).

I'm open to other suggestions as well but want to keep the cost of the unit under $2,000.00

The above units are in the $1,300 to $1,800 range. And warranty's about the same.....

Reply to
someguy469

Take a look at Dunkirk Plymouth series too, I've had mine heating an attached garage slab (in cold Chicago) as well as a basement slab for about 10 years running, no service calls other than a defective pilot thermocouple that was initially installed (Honeywell verified that that batch of couplers was defective). I like the standing pilot kind because the warmth of the pilot keeps the flue condensation down in the summer and overall helps prevent rust, (I was not as concerned about super efficiency). The price might be in your range depending on how many BTU's you need.

RickH