plaster, wire lath question

I am thinking of using wire lath as a base for a small ceiling. I've plastered before, but only over rocklath or blueboard. Questions:

- The framing is 2x4, mounted 'flat' (so, 3.5" on the ceiling side). Can I just nail the wire lath to that? It seems like it wouldn't key all that well there.

- Would it help (or be necessary) to add some kind of fiber to the scratch coat?

- I'd use Structolite for the scratch coat. Is OK?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

You're starting from scratch, and you want to use plaster instead of sheetrock? Why?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Structolite already has the fiber (hair) in it. It is unusual to have the wood in the flat. Were you planning to staple, nail, or screw the lath on? You could slip a washer/nut/piece of plastic between the lath and the wood at the fasteners to get a better keying. You will be wearing quite a bit of the plaster if you've not done this before. Make the plaster fairly loose and make sure to get it keyed. Do not try to flatten or work the scratch very much, just get it keyed in.

Reply to
DanG

Long story, family stuff, possibly listed in DSM-IV.

George

????? Let me guess: Grandpa was knocked off a ladder while doing sheetrock, so the material is pure evil and can't be allowed in the house?

Wait....the spouse wants it because she saw it being done to Martha Stewart's house?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you're doing the work, do it the way you want. If someone else wants you to do it a different way, invite that person to do the work instead.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I was thinking to nail it, probably w/ roofing nails or maybe ringed-shanks, if I find some with a big head. I like the idea of using a washer - just that might be enough for it to key.

As far as getting rained on, one reason for doing this now is that it's a stairway, so it's sloped, rather than strictly overhead. (Also, it's to the cellar, so it's kind of a throw-away - a good place to practice.)

Thanks, G

Reply to
George