Glue for plaster repair?

I have an old plaster and lath ceiling and a 12-inch diameter section of the skim coat has separated from the base coat but the base coat has not separated from the lath. I'm thinking that I should be able to glue the skim-coat piece back in place with some kind of glue but I don't know what type of glue to use. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks Scott

Reply to
Scott Duncan

Plain old white glue should work fine.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
Phil Munro

Two votes for this method. Glue would be an exercise in futility. If he's friendly with his neighbors, maybe he could ask whether anyone's got some leftover sheetrock mud so he doesn't have to buy the million pound bucket. Sounds like he'll need about 3 handfuls MAXIMUM, to take care of practicing on a piece of scrap wood, and then doing the actual work.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Easy to see you've never had a house with lath-and-plaster walls.

Phil Munro's advice is spot-on. Nothing to add to it. Do what he says.

Doug Miller

I hear you and is sounds crazy but what I have in my hand is a 100-year old section of plaster that is about 1/8 -3/16 inch think and 10 inches in diameter. It separated from the rest of the plaster which is about 5/8 inch thick when I installed a pull-down staircase. I just want to glue it back in place for now. Some day I'll do the whole ceiling but for now I have bigger fish to fry. I'll try white glue.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Duncan