Phone service

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:50:50 AM UTC-5, A K wrote:

Then aren't they an alternative for DSL/phone or just DSL and use OOma or similar for phone?
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 09:05:58 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Once 5G rolls out I expect big mobile players to try to get everyone on it and abandon any copper that is still left out there.
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 13:08:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Most have "effectivel abandoned" all the copper already. The "main trunk" runs along the back of my property and to replace it would require tunnelling through a LOT of tree roots (almost a mile, end to end across numeous properties) All the "spare pairs" have been used and they cannot provide me (along with numerous others) a "clean line". The phone was noisy and DSL was as low as 1MB so I switched to Rogers (cable) and an OOMA box. Would have used the cheaper Magic Jack but I could not port my existing phone number.

Ours are generally in the utility and road right of way and the utilities generally deforest that whole 66' swath here in Florida. There was a rumor 30 years ago that Sprint dropped fiber in the hole in front of my house with the copper but these days they only mark two lines. They used to mark 3 on a locate so I suspect the fiber may have been damaged or simply abandoned. They bored the line to my house 30 years ago when the overhead drop was removed. It is a 3 pair flooded cable.
On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 21:16:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

We have the gas, hydro, and water underground in the boulevard and first 3 feet of lawn. The telephone and cable run along the rear property line. Ours is all burried. In some areas it runs above ground -(even in some with burried power) - while where the power is overhead on the street, phone and cable sometimes share the poles. The power goes up to the house under the edge of the driveway- about 2 or 3 feet from the grass, while the water goes about 3 feet out from the other side of the driveway (with the drainage/sewer) and the gas is about 15 to 20 feet farther over - in line with the corner of the house. Gas meter on one end of the house, electric on the other end (on garage wall) and water meter in the center of the house undeer the front step (in the cold room)

The county owned right of way is 66 feet wide in front of my house, typical for a Florida residential street. 24 feet on each side of the 18' road is grass and that is where the utilities go. A lot of people are shocked to find out they don't own the first 24 feet of their yard. This is not an easement, the county just owns it. They can cut down "your" trees, dig up "your" grass and generally tell you what you are allowed to do there. Lawn sprinklers are always an issue. If they dig them up, tough shit. Legally all you can have is a mailbox and with a permit, a driveway across it.
OTOH, you can make them mow it if you want. Just don't expect it to happen often or get a very good job.
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 13:42:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Here it's about 3.5 feet in from the sidewalk - about 15 feetfrom the kerb where there is both a sidewalk and boulevard. Hewre if you don't mow it they will - and add it to your tax bill- - - - -

Sounds like communism. Why should I have to mow a government lot for free? People do it here, and maintain the grass, just for the illusion that their yard is bigger than it is. I do too but I also maintain about an acre of FPL right of way behind my house, just for my own enjoyment of having a good off leash place for my dog to run. It is also a sort of wildlife preserve for me.
In real life if I didn't I could complain and they would have to do some minimal level of maintenance themselves. I don't because the resulting jungle north of me makes my little acre a private park, only I can get to.
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 13:42:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

"Not an easement, the county just owns it"...is that a Florida thing? I ask because I'll be moving there eventually. Everyone does. :)
I've owned homes in Mississippi, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, and Montana, not all at the same time, and my property line has always been the curb. The sidewalks cross my property but are owned and maintained by the city, except for snow removal which was my responsibility, and there is always a utility easement of about 15 feet, but it's just an easement.

One of the utility companies here has a high voltage line running along the back of my property with a 100-foot easement, 50 feet of which is on my side and 50 feet on the next guy's property. In the fine print, though, it says that they've agreed to repair any fences that have to come down in case they need access to their lines. They don't have to replace trees, shrubs, or outbuildings of any kind. It really shouldn't be an issue, though. They have at least 3 ways to get back there without crossing any private property.

I can't speak for every county and city but that is certainly the way it works in Lee County. You can go to LEEPA.ORG, punch in the address and see the property lines. This is a shot of my house with the property lines in yellow.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/leepa2018.jpg

They just own the 100' wide right of way behind me. It used to be a railroad track before WWII.
On 2/15/20 3:42 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[snip]

A noisy phone line was why I switched to phone service from the cable company.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

When sprint took over the mom and pop phone company here they replaced the whole "plant" and our lines were clean. I also knew the "data" guys well at the telco and had a way of getting a clean line if I made enough "noise" even on the old system. At the end of the day they are still a government regulated utility and you can push down from the top if you have to. It helped that I had better tools to assess their line quality than they did tho.
On 2/16/2020 2:47 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

It was a fantastic day when I kicked the AT$T noisy phone line to the curb.
These clowns are still trying to sell 6 Mb pewverse service that was barely adequate 20 years ago.
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 22:14:38 -0500, Grumpy Old White Guy

Up here Bell is "selling" high speed internet, TV and home phone - not saying what they are "delivering"

The Telco does OK here if you are on fiber but copper is pretty much stuck with 10-25mb internet only plus a POTS line that is virtually free (<$15) and has all of the calling services. (free LD, call waiting, conferencing, caller ID, voice mail and a bunch of other stuff I never use) If you like to talk long distance a lot I suppose it is a great deal.
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 23:06:25 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Here "fibre" isn't necessarily (or even generally) fibre to the door. The main trunk is fibre here - but the last half mile is 50 year old buried copper.
On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 2:25:34 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

"main

e company.

curb.

arely adequate 20 years ago.

But aren't they delivering cable TV services too using that fiber? If so, how do they do that over the old copper? Not sure what the point is to getting fiber to within 1/2 mile and then stopping.

It's much easier and cheaper to splice copper wires (even coax) and terminate it into equipment than doing it with fibre.
So "fiber to the block" is pretty common, and copper the last 1,000 feet can easily handle all the standard amounts of required bandwidth
On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 3:49:49 PM UTC-5, danny burstein wrote:

I guess that depends on what the standard amounts of required bandwidth are. You sure aren't going to get 100+ mbit/sec over 1000 ft of 50 year old copper telephone wire. Here in NJ Verizon Fios is fiber up to the house. Which is what you would need to equal what I and many others have through cable/internet. People that have copper for the last 1000 ft, are they getting cable TV and internet through that pipe?

Oh, sure. To get decent throughput (by modern standards) that last 1,000 feet has to be coax, not twisted pair...
I'm not quite sure where the neighbohood fiber -> coax box is here (and yes, I've searched..) but I can tell you our coax gets us 100 meg plus numerous HD tv channels