Phone in bathroom

P.S. This sub sets take only two AA batteries. I guess it is safe from electric hazard.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

When was 120 volt ringing used? I thought Bell Canada stuck with the old USA Bell System standards.

I've spent 20 years in the phone biz, and my father started in 1960 for the same company.

Standard USA ringing leaves the office or remote hut at 88 VAC, 20 Hz.

"Extended" ringing is usually 105 VAC, but it's only used on long cable pairs, so the end result is the same.

130 VAC is/was used to power the old T1 span repeaters.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Not usually, but the jolt will knock you down.

In the telephone business, it's usually the fall off the ladder or pole that does the damage. The jolt only causes the fall.

However, standing in a bathtub would probably be a different story, in a worse sense. Weak hearts, pacemakers, etc... would be worse.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Hi, Main issue is ringer voltage can be dangerous. Maybe I exaggerated a bit. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Mark is a brave man with iron heart, LOL. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

William:

WW> I'm in the process of reqiring the low-voltage stuff in the house WW> (phone, data, video). I've got a request from SWMBO to place a phone WW> near the bathtub. Does anyone know how close I'm allowed to put it by WW> code, or does it matter?

I'd also suggest a cordless phone. A corded phone's voltage/current probably won't zap someone but why take the chance? Ring voltage is around 100v @ 20 Hz.

  • Heroes \hee-rhos' What a guy in a boat does
Reply to
barry martin

If you do this, don't call me while you are showering. I actually had someone call me once while they were in the shower. All I heard was water running, and it made me needing to take a piss. You CAN live without the phone for the 10 minutes you shower.... REALLY, YOU CAN !

Reply to
Generic Male Homosapien

Because most presidential candidates haven't had hooters.

- Figmo

Reply to
Figmo

Use a cordless phone.

Reply to
Dick Smyth

Stormin Moron about make me laugh to the point of tears when he proclaimed the following on Hib to Koboland news: snipped-for-privacy@enews2.newsguy.com...

Humm..I got hit with over 65K volts today..but..still living... Explain that one Chris

Hint..

A M P

Reply to
CBHvac

So If enough juice is there ,( Besides a bad shock ) even though its small load wire, why couldnt anyone Steal the juice to power chargers , inverters etc . How much could you get ,,,, kwh. @ 48 V per month. Free juice ?? You already Paid

Reply to
mark Ransley

As long as you can keep the phone ringing, sure, you could try to harness the 50-100 VAC and use it to charge something, or maybe run a small device.

Let's see...you can keep calling your home phone from your cell phone and hanging up before it answers (have to watch those peak minute$, ya know) but then you would run your battery down on the cell, so you would need to plug it into the charger... TP

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Stupid , Tom , How about real life, no load and a load drain ........Minimal load per hr ,

Reply to
mark Ransley

I'm trying...what part aren't you seeing? That IS real life. Back up a step, there's nothing there...NOTHING...until you talke the hone off hook or have it ringing, so start your expenses off with the cost of a phone line that you basically can't use as a phone line. Then pick your recovery method, try to harvest something from the minimal bias/DC voltage that's always there, or try to harness the slightly bigger ringer voltage, and there's really no way to make your phone ring unless SOMEBODY calls it, and you can't just ask Telco to ring your phone 24/7, so YOU have to call it somehow.

Hoestly..not trying to jerk you around, just show you that there really isn't anything there that's economically or practically attractive. I can buy one hell of a lot of good old commercial power for the $18-25 it costs for a phone line every month.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I-zheet M'drurz Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Maybe they can charge their cell while calling their home number...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

I see Tom , the power isnt there.

Reply to
mark Ransley

At least not to a point where it would make economic sense to go after it, that's all.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Speaking of...was gonna call ya to let you know I wasnt gonna be able to hit IRC tonight..will explain later in there, or the old method of com..

Reply to
CBHvac

Current KILLS not voltage.

Reply to
Ronnie

CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

No big deal.

BTW, hit Trillian's site for the MSN and Yahoo patches.

Also, since you have my old work cell, don't try calling it. I kinda broke it when I beat it on the dashboard of the car....yeah. That kind of month...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck