Phone in bathroom

Howdy,

I'm in the process of reqiring the low-voltage stuff in the house (phone, data, video). I've got a request from SWMBO to place a phone near the bathtub. Does anyone know how close I'm allowed to put it by code, or does it matter?

Thanks,

William Wilson

Reply to
William Wilson

It's not a good idea. If SWMBO wants to talk on the phone while she's in the bath, get her a cell phone.

Doug Miller

why not cordless, it's much cheaper than a cellphone. get a cordless with a hands free option

Reply to
j j

Cordless anyone?

A ringing corded phone could give someone a serious jolt, or worse.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

a 12 volt jolt , dont think so

Reply to
mark Ransley

Put the bathtub in the kitchen,

Reply to
Martik

Hi Try it when you're wet. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Try a minimum of 40VAC.

I-zheet M'drurz

I have got shocked from a ringing phone (while installing phone lines). Maybe not hazardous, but certainly startling. Cordless phone sounds like the best solution.

Reply to
Phisherman

Sounds kinda kinky??????

Reply to
Loose Cannon

I don't know of anything wrong with it, it's just a rather silly idea. The previous owners of my house put a phone jack in *EVERY* room, including the bathrooms and we've never yet used them.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I thought the ringer was 90 volts, but it could be 40 to 150 VAC according to a quick google search for "telephone ringer voltage"

So a wireless portable would be the best option for a bathroom.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Reply to
Art Todesco

Far enough away that bathtub and phone don't meet. Phones can have enough current to kill you.

"on hook" 48 VDC "off hook" about 5 VDC "ring" 105 VAC

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

What about a speaker phone?

Reply to
Ryan

Yeah, but... What about all those 60s movies coyly featuring ladies neck-deep in bubbles and chatting on a fancy phone? I feel sure those scenes must have generated a lot of desire to copy.

Reply to
Frogleg

I dont beleive there is enough current or amps to kill, Urban Legend. Or phone sockets would be outlawed for damp areas. Ive messed with alot of phone lines, never been shocked.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yeah, but haven't you noticed? They've all died of electrocution in the bathtub!

;-)

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

When you're not getting an incoming ring signal, there is no problem, but if you happen to be touching both wires when a ring comes in, you *will* get the wires out of your hand, ASAP.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz