Painted Paneling fails scratch test! Now what?

My wife painted 4 paneling boards, she first used liquid sandpaper, then primed them, and then painted the first coat.

I scratched one a the boards with my fingernail and the paint and primer came off easily.

Now what should I do? Is there any way to save this paneling or do I need to just throw it away and start over?

Reply to
Aaron

wait a few weeks for it to cure, more if it is humid. Was the paneling ever waxed , if yes then it may never bond. Also the type of primer used is specific for that. Generic primer may be at fault. First i would wait.

Reply to
m Ransley

Sorry to say, but sounds like the primer didn't stick. Did you use an acrylic primer? Often these do not work very well on paneling, unless they're made specifally for difficult surfaces, like paneling, even then... A good stain sealing/oil based primer, made for sticking to difficult surfaces will work better on paneling, providing it has a solid surface to adhere to, i.e., no wax, grease, etc.

Good luck with your project. Hope this helps. Larry

Reply to
Pro Painter