Outdoor Shower?

I would like to build an outdoor shower, attached to my house. I am meeting with a plumber next week. I guess a carpenter will be involved too because I want the shower enclosed. I'm not looking for something fancy just functional. What would a "ballpark" price be for something like this? Where can I find guidance if I wanted to do it myself? Thanks..

Reply to
Thomas Wunderlich

I would suggest a solar water heater. you'll probably be using this only in the summer. some drain down valve for the winter would be good. good luck,& get three estimates.

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace

SQLit

I'm sure it will be much cheaper than a ballpark.

Doesn't work.

Reply to
mm

Define "enclosed". Is a Shower curtain OK?

Do you have greywater runnoff allowance, or will you have to pump/drain it in to the sewer?

We build one every august in New Castle.

It is a wooden frame with a curtain run around it. Ours runs off propane water heater. Sounds like yours will have house water.

Lets assume that greywater isn't a problem, and that you use bidegradeable soaps and such, and that you're trying to do this on the cheap.

Plumbing: Hot and cold water tapped into the house plus shutoff valves and drainage line for winterizing: $20-$30 (or more depending on the run, and other obstacles.) really variable.

Fixture: showerhead: 10-20

Enclosure: Treated lumber: 20-30 Shower curtain and hooks $1-$5 (dollar store) concrete pad upon which to stand: $10

If you did this yourself and were not too fussy, I'd expect this to cost on the order of $100.

Of course, much of this depends on your ideas of what "enclosed" and "not to fancy" are. Also what you have to do to transport water to and possibly from the location.

When our shower didn't run off line pressure, i found it sufficient to leave a 100' black hose in the sun and take military showers. (wet yourself and turn water off. Lather up. Then rinse.)

That kind of setup would probably cost less than $50.

Some things that I'd consider doing:

Plumb to the outside and provide spigots so the structure can be disconnected/drained in the winter (if this is an issue.)

Filter the greywater through an evaporation pond, with a good plant population.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

[snip]

When we remodeled we put in an outdoor sink for cleanup after gardening and other outdoor tasks. If you've got something like that you can get a hand-shower (shower head with flexible hose), two-way valve and a thread adapter that will let you attach the shower head to the sink faucet and hang the shower head on the outside wall, or in your case (with siding) from some sort of vertical bracket. During that renovation we also put in a wall around the utility area (air conditioners, well pump and water system, etc.) so the shower is not out in the open.

If I get particularly dirty working outside I just use the outside shower. There's something about being able to stand there and shower, and still see the lake and landscape around the house.

You can also find stand-alone outdoor showers at camper supply stores and I have occasionally seen them in larger Sears stores.

Reply to
JimR

New Castle, Pennsylvania?

That's where I'm from.

I was at a party once and heard the woman behind me, facing away from me, say she was from New Castle, Pa.

I turned and said, "That's where I'm from."

She said, "You must mean New Castle, Delaware."

I said, "I know where I'm from". LOL

What high school did you go to? LOL

Reply to
mm

Yes, I'm one of the 14000 weirdos who make a temp city there every year. ;)

I went to Brooke County High School, in WVa. (grad in 1989)

Moved to pittsburgh that year, and havn't achieved total escape velocity. Currently live in Ingram, PA. (~3 miles from Downtown Pgh.)

Reply to
Philip Lewis

What! Why do you make a temp city? And who are the other 13999 weirdos who do the same?

This isn't Rainbow camping, is it?

Are you always in the same part of town? Where?

That's not in New Castle.

Neither is that. :)

Reply to
mm

hey I am a iittsburger, grew up in sheraden pa, right by ingram. used to walk to the crafton ingram shopping center when I was a kid. I repair ingram schools laminator:) I fix machines all around including new castle

its a small world, my dad lives in phoenix az. out there visiting with my wife. at local amusement park in phoenix bumped into people from sharon pa, near home. the woman was a substitute teacher for my wifes dad a teacher in greenville pa, where my wife grew up.

never do anything bad because someone who knows you will say hi bob as your leaving the bank you just robbed:(.............

Reply to
hallerb

[...]

International medieval recreation group

meets at coopers lake campground
for something called the Pennsic War
starting on the first full weekend of august
:).

covers WVa, Western PA, and Western/central NY.

Fun event... get to see friends from all over the world. We usually go for the full two weeks/three weekends s>grew up in sheraden pa, right by ingram. [...] its a small world,

We sing in sheraden around a couple of the major holidays and "Holy Innocents Church" for the nice music director (Ross) who works there.

I like the area. Out of the city, but close enough to not be far from stuff. And that the sharp edge creekhouse

close, is *big* bonus. ;)

We live on the ridge on w prospect, which is apparently "Upper Ingram". That a borough of 3000 residents would have such a disctintion amuses us.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Thanks. I'll take a look. Maybe I'll see you there.

(I just found the reply to my post. This group has a lot of traffic, especially when it starts to get warm out.)

And good to hear from hallerb, also.

Reply to
mm