Outdoor BBQ project

Hi,

Now that the weather is getting better, my thoughts are turning to the great outdoors. Next on the list is an outdoor BBQ. I want to install a 48" grill with a 2 burner cooktop. The plan is to build an island rougly 10 feet long that would have counter space on wither side of the grill and burners.

I am thinking along the lines of building a frame out of steel studs and attaching 1/2" wonderboard to that. Fireproof and lightweight (compared to masonry). Then what I am envisioning are stucco sides and tile or stone counter tops.

With respect to the stucco sides, what is the preferred (best) way to make sure that the stucco stays put on the wonderboard?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
jmgreen_

Gates BBQ Sauce is the best. I don't know if it's nationally available, but they probably have a website you can order from. I think they are in Kansas City.

Reply to
Matt

Same basic design that I have. Except that I am only going to use wonder board under the tile and exterior grade osb for the vertical walls. Over the ply/osb wood I am planning on using metal lath stapled up. It will be almost like my home with at least 2 coats of stucco. God forbid I need to move this when it is done.

Reply to
SQLit

Was considering the same project, as I could do it in metal studs, wonderboard, tile, etc, and own it for about a tenth of what they want at the bbq specialty store. Then I got a new Vermont Castings grill, ostensibly to use for a bit, then take the main part and mount into this MONGO cabinet/island/continent thing I was planning on building. Now, FOR MY PATIO, I am considering making a smaller unit, and using casters so I can move it around, use it when I need it, and put it out of the way the rest of the time.

Anyway you go, though, if you can do stuff like this, it sure beats the spendy stuff you see at those bbq supply stores. I just go there for ideas. If they get pushy, I just say, "Oh, I can build this for a LOT less, I'm just shopping for ideas."

Consider if you want to look at this island/continent on your patio for 20 years.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

SQLit,

I initially thought about exterior grade something, but I wanted to make sure it was 100% fireproof being that close to a big hot grill. I found the Quikrete website and it has a very good DIY section, complete with stucco instructions. The problem is how to securely attach the mesh to the wonderboard. It seems to me that applying the stucco directly over the Wonderboard would be very similar to applying stucco over existing masonry and thus no mesh would be required.

I think more research is required.

Reply to
jmgreen_

My latest favorite is Jacks BBQ sauce from Jacks in Clermont, FL....Luckily it is just 2 miles from me!!! I smeared it all over a pulled pork sandwich today and slopped it down...now that paints a pretty picture doesn't it......take care folks, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Here is the answer, straight from Quikrete:

"Thank you, for visiting The QUIKRETE Companies web site. Quikrete products like the Quik Wall Surface Bonding Cement can be applied to wonderboard. You will not need a mesh. "

Reply to
jmgreen_

I would avoid tile on the top. The first time you spill bbq sauce or the like on it, you will be disappointed with the stains in the grout. Very hard to keep clean.

Rob

Reply to
Robert

Getting bbq sauce on your pretty grout? Isn't that what it's for? I would just start out with dark grout if I was worried about that. The thing is going to be outside with rain, bird doodoo, dust, and whatever. A little barbecue sauce will just add a little character to it.

This is one of the great things about doing it yourself. Build it so that it is easy to change the tile. Then just change it as you want. Change the color, the texture, whatever. A simple deal.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Seal the grout well. Then, just in case, match your grout to your favorite brand of barbeque sauce. (nyuk nyuk)

I've been thinking about an outdoor grill/cook area, too. Don't know where to put it though. I'd like it close to the back door, but I guess it can't be TOO close. I'd also like it in red brick to match the house (and the barbeque sauce). Will be looking for more responses to this post so I can get some advice, too.

Reply to
Dee

Go to your local barbecue and pool and patio stores. In our area (Las Vegas) they have several made up inside the store. You can also go to home improvement, pool and patio, spa, and outdoors shows put on by merchants in your area.

Just go for ideas, and you will get plenty. Lots of things that you wouldn't think of on your own.

Then take those ideas and build them. Steel studs are simple. Wonderboard and plywood are very forgiving. And if it doesn't fit together that tight, just use extra grout in the corners. Tile covers up a multitude of mistakes.

It's an outdoor counter. It don't have to be perfect. Nice is nice, but it isn't rocket surgery, and nothing is really dependent on it for safety. Get your gas lines right, and your connections proper. Make it solid. But other than that, eveything including mistakes gets covered up with tile/stucco/paneling/whatever.

Makes me want to go out and start on mine.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB