outdoor art theft prevention

Hello,
I'm considering putting a piece of art in my front yard. While this is a pretty crime free neighborhood I'm afraid something like this unprotected will be too much of a temptation for some and that it will rapidly walk away. I'd really rather not pour significant amounts of concrete in the front yard.
What I have in mind is some kind of stake you can pound into the ground that has expandable wings that make pulling it out of the ground much more difficult. These would end in threaded rod that the whatever would be mounted to and have nuts screwed and welded onto. Most likely I would form a small concrete pedestal that these rods would extend through.
It's not going to stop anyone that really wants to take the thing but it might keep the non pros off of it.
Anyone know of something like this that exists and have a link? Some quick googling didn't turn up anything.
thanks in advance ml

There are steel poles for dogs you screw into the ground with a loop you could lock a chain to, then bolt a hook to the art. To remove the pole later put a piece of pipe in the loop and turn it out. Nobody will mess with it with it chained down. Or get a landmine and set the art on it, it will blow when they steal it.

and then i have to clean up the mess....

it AMAZES me that morons still suggest illegal,criminal booby traps that could kill or maim people.(and get you put in prison)
Also,landmines are not readily available to the ordinary law-abiding US citizen.
No wonder I already have this guy killfiled.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

sounds like a mobile home tie-down anchor;the sort required in Florida for hurricane protection for mobile homes;they are like an auger you screw into the ground,and then then bolt to the mobile home's frame.But they don't end in threaded rod,I believe.
Google turned up a lot of URLS; these have pix; http://www.doityourself.com/icat/mobilehometiedown http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/tiedowns.htm
I suspect one would work to secure your lawn art;it only has to make it too difficult for a quick steal.

you could cast an eyebolt into your pedestal and bolt,chain,or padlock that to the auger-style tie-down.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
kzin wrote:

Then you need to consider some POS coming along and simply trashing whatever the item might be.
kzin wrote:

It's not naughty, like a nekkid man or something, is it?

I had my front door vandalized and it's not even "art."

Time for wireless motion-sensing security cams recording to your PC. Even Wal-Mart has them.
Then let the police and court deal with the vandals.
I've seen some TV reports of homeowners having thefts from their garages or autos parked in their driveways,and the security cams giving the police all the evidence they needed to find the thieves and make arrests. I've thought about them to watch over my auto in the apartment parking lot. (after the last car was stolen,stripped and burned last June..)
A power source is the main problem.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik