OT. WWI Ending

The editorial here has a link to the sound of WWI ending. The Allies used sound ranging for aiming their artillery. There's the sound of the guns, silence, then birds singing.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I met a couple of WWI vets decades ago. Both disabled by gas. Battlefield was horrendous with body parts strewn about.

Reply to
Frank

I read "All Quiet on the Western Front" years ago. I should dig it up and reread it. It's hard to imagine the bravery of guys climbing out of trenches to run across no man's land toward the enemy.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yeah, but when yor own military is firing artillery behind you to force you forward...

danny burstein

One of the best three books I've read in the last few years was Ken Follett's Century Series which essentially covers families and relations starting before the first world war up until the end of the century. Somewhat colored by his Labour Party views particularly near the end but it is a great historical novel about western governments and the people living under them and the wars.

Reply to
Frank

Balance that with Ernst Jünger's 'Storm of Steel'. Jünger had little use for bourgeois liberalism's search for safety and comfort.

Reply to
rbowman