OT - Wired Magazine: What Happened ?

Never subscribed - don't have the grey matter to digest it regularly.
But whenever I hit the library or Barnes & Noble, I read or buy it.
Just opened up the December 2016 issue and all I could think was "WTF happened ??!!!".
Seemed pretty much unreadable except for the article on Clapper... more like some sort of East or West Coast lifestyle mag.
Anybody know what happened?
Change of ownership maybe?
--
Pete Cresswell

We should be so lucky!
Wired is owned by Condé Nast, a modern media oriented publisher of magazines and web-sites. Basically, a lotta young hipster-types glomming onto the next big thing (read consumer).
I quit patronizing Wired's website when some dolt got hacked and Wired spent months speech-ifying and whining about it. It was an obvious ploy to get online readers and I got tired of it. They also acquired --and ruined!-- Ars Technica, which I also no longer patronize.
nb

Condé Nast (or its parent company) owned Ars Technica for several years before they dumbed it down. With Wired, the dumbing was not as noticeable because it took place over a longer period and because Wired was always pretty glitzy and TEDish. With Ars, the change was sudden and much more obvious, somewhat like going from Byte to Cnet (although that may be unfair to Cnet).

Originally, IMHO, _Wired_ was a very good magazine. I subscribed. Then, later, it changed its style and types of articles. It has done this several times. I quit, resubscribed once when it improved and only cost $12 a year, but now have given up on them so have not seen the latest change you described.