OT Why would anyone use Auto-Reload for Amazon "gift cards".

OT Why would anyone use Auto-Reload for Amazon "gift cards".

YOu can set it to reload with any amount you want (they fill in the field with $50.) monthly, every two weeks, weekly, or daily, or when the balance drops below any number you set. It charges your debit or credit card.

Why would any sensible person do that, when that same card will pay for your purchase when you make it? In fact they don't bill you until it ships, so you have the money until then, instead of Amazon having it.

If you don't buy anything, maybe your sick in bed, in the hospital, in a coma, with the periodic option your balance keeps increasing. If you die, are they going to know that and send your money back? It could be hundreds or thousands of dollars. In fact, how long does it take from when you die until your credit/debit card company stops honoring pre-authorized withdrawals? Is it automatic, or does your executor have to tell them to stop? Are your heirs going to think to check your Amazon account to get the unspent money back? How many forms will your executor have to fill out to get the money?

And why do this at all?

Is Amazon a cult?

Reply to
micky

If you have a kid away at school it would make some sense, assuming you want to give them spending money. More control than a credit card with a high limit. Aside from that, I can't image a reason.

Reply to
Ed P

You can put money in a prisoner's account. I wonder if the prison system has made it to the 21st century and accepts gift cards?

Reply to
rbowman

I use Amazon gift cards because the grocery store I buy them from gives a discount on fuel for buying them. I see no benefit to Amazon reloading a card.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

At least you found one good one.

I can't remember what I did for money in college. Food and board was paid in big chunks in advance and I didn't need much spending money but I did spend some. The bookstore, I bought a bicycle at the police bicycle auction. There were almost no credit cards then.

Reply to
micky

Kids allowance? Having a card for online purchases that does not give access to large amounts of money to fraudsters?

Reply to
Bob F