OT: Why do people use double negatives and add confusion?

For example to warn someone that a supply may run out, instead of saying "the supply is not limitless", why not say "the supply is limited"? I have to manually cross off two negatives to know what they mean. Or they write "not uncommon" instead of common. You don't go outside in summer and say "it's not cold today", or say "I went to fill up and the fuel tank in my car has stopped being not full".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I would say that most people do *not* interpret:

(a) "the supply is not limitless"

and

(b) "the supply is limited"

as meaning exactly the same thing.

In ordinary everyday English usage, if one is talking about the medium to longer term, (a) would convey that thought better than (b).

(b) suggests instead that there are, or may shortly be, short-term difficulties in supply.

You might indeed never have cause to say either of those things.

But one might well have cause to utter the sentence "the supply is not limitless" and by that, to mean something quite distinct from "the supply is limited".

Reply to
JNugent

They do it just to annoy you, Commander Kinsey.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

If you want to be precise, you need numbers - "we only have 40 of those left, don't use so many". Otherwise it's just "not enough" or "enough".

Indeed, I'd say "the fuel tank is now full".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And make things generally irritating. 2 points if you can find that clip.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

"I Ain't Got Nobody". Merle Haggard, Louie Armstrong, Bessie Smith, and others sang the song. "I don't have anyone" doesn't carry the same emphasis.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It's a rhetorical figure of speech called "litotes". Sometimes used for humorous effect, it tends to make speech/writing more varied and hence more interesting than simply confining yourself to positive statements (which may be OK in some registers).

Reply to
Custos Custodum

The former is sort-of a form of emphasis, and might be used to firmly dispel the mistaken belief that the supply WAS unlimited / limitless.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

It's not for no good reason.

Reply to
micky

Your examples are different, however. They are two negatives to mean a negative.

The OP was about two negatives to mean a positive.

FWIW, in Spanish to negatives meaning a negative is normal. But I'm sure there are a lot of details I dont' know, for example, how to use two negatives as in standard English, to mean a positive. I think it unlikely that that is not possible in Spanish.

Reply to
micky

This *corrects* an *erroneous* assumption.

This affirms a situation.

Only people who have never studied or been taught English at school would make that mistake. So basically everyone since Blair.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably because they do not use an alternative translation service to google translate? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Being serious for a moment. One of my annoyances is the use in advertising of these terms. Up to 50meg upload speed, or, Buy our discount tyres from

50 percent discount. In other words, the actual offer is always worse than the figures due to the use of up to and from. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I think it's okay to have a bit of adventure in writing style, depending on the audience and intended message of course. At one time I was involved in editing a newsletter and the agency had a theory that communications could be divided into 'Sun', 'Daily Mail' and ' 'Times' and you should pick one of these models depending on the audience. Double negatives probably fall into category 3 so can introduce a bit of erudition to otherwise plain text (which can be a not inconsiderable advantage at times). .

Reply to
Scott

Says the imbelile who cant spell "countries".

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

Contrarywise. OCD people would find cancelling negatives easier.

You don't have to use a different word every time you say something.

If you need to be exact, you should be using percentages or something, not just words.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You have an extra O in there yourself.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I find Google translate very good, much better than what we used to use. I've even been accused of being fluent in Russian when using it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Now you see.... "not inconsiderable" doesn't mean a thing to me. I have to convert it to considerable.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've seen worse: "SALE: at least half price". Judging by the prices they meant half or more removed from the price.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey