OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English

Why, even when on the radio talking to everyone, cannot so many doctors speak so everyone will understand? I've been asking this question for years. A woman calls into a doctor and she's immunocompromised, and he tells her the vaccine won't hurt her [That's plain English] but she may not "respond optimally"? I think 80 or 90% of people know what that means. I know what it means but even I have to translate it to English to really appreciate what it means. And maybe 10 or 20%, young people, poorly educated, sleepy, immigrant people especially, don't. Why not, Won't do you as much good as it does for others.

They often use phrases far more obscure than thhis one.

More than half of the doctors on the radio use this obscure language. Sometimes changing from a standard phrase risks losing the fixed meaning of the standard phrase, but usually not.

Heard a radio show a couple days ago with professional in the field complaining about this very thing, but broader, trying to explain why so many won't get vaccinated. ONne of them said they get no training in this in med and grad school, but isn't it obvious? And don't their wives and husbands listen to them and tell them how unclear they are?

Reply to
micky

Because that's not what "may not respond optimally" means. It has nothing to do with her immune response compared to other people's.

It is quite likely that their wives and husbands are highly educated, often in a similar field, and can understand them perfectly well.

I'm not saying you're wrong, though. When I got my booster, the pharmacist seemed surprised when I told her that my fatigue and fever from the first two shots probably "indicated an appropriate immune response".

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

You are in electronics. Have you ever heard of IEEE-EESE? The worst over techical obfuscation I have ever experienced. IEEE seminars are a waste of time.

There is a talent to learning how to explain things to a layman. When I explain things to my customer, I watch their eyes. If they start to gloss over, I gear back. And I am still working on it.

Maybe you could get one of those board stands like John Madden used for his commentary during football games. He was mentioned often yesterday on TV. All of the comments were positive.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

ESPN broadcasts Monday Night Football on two channels. One channel has the regular version with a couple announcers sitting in a.booth onsite. The other channel has the Manning brothers in their living rooms. About 3/4 of the screen is the game. The other 1/4 is the Mannings talking about football using pro football jargon along with the top secret code brothers use talking to each other. They're just watching the game and commenting on it now and then. Snoop Dog will be their guest during the second half.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman