OT - On-Line Doctors. Any experiences?

I've got sun damage to the top of my (bald) head. Some years ago I was prescribed a diclofenac gel which worked fine. I was told I could call up some more if it came back. They're now saying I have to see a doctor. Fat chance.

It seems I can get an online consultation for < £50 with free prescriptions and, therefore, free drugs. It's attractive but does it work?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Another Dave snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in news:sgo0gm$u1i$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

As an alternative:

Voltarol is a diclofenac gel available over the counter in strengths of

1.16% (regular) and 2.32% (12 hour). Would either of those strengths work for you? Best value is in the 100g size, going rate at Boots for regular 100g is 11.50 and for '12 hour' 100g 19quid. Ignore the different muscle pain and joint pain targetted labeling, they are the exactly the same product.
Reply to
Peter Burke

Are you sure? I looked into this and thought it was a possible alternative to Solaraze 3% which is what I was prescribed. I seem to remember someone (I can't remember where) saying that they were not interchangeable. I'll give it a go; getting to see a doctor around here is tedious in the extreme.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Another Dave snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in news:sgo2r1$ff2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

"Contains Diclofenac diethylammonium 2.32% w/w."

Peter Burke

I didn't mean for this thread to discuss in depth my bald head :-(

Solaraze contains:

Diclofenac SODIUM 3%

Sodium hyaluronate Benzyl alcohol Macrogol monomethyl ether 350

I don't know if any of this makes the slightest difference. I'll give Voltarol a go. I don't think the concentration matters too much because Solaraze worked amply well and it's externally applied.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Another Dave snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote in news:sgo57k$1b0$1@dont- email.me:

Hey, it could have been a more embarassing location/condition :-)

"In the United Kingdom, Voltarol can be supplied with either the sodium salt or the potassium salt, while Cataflam, sold in some other countries, is the potassium salt only. However, Voltarol Emulgel contains diclofenac diethylammonium, in which a 1.16% concentration is equivalent to a 1% concentration of the sodium salt."

It appears that whichever delivery method is chosen (Sodium or otherwise) that there is an equivalent concentation/efficacy in relation to the sodium salt version and is close to it. The 12hour version appears to be equivalent to DF Sodium at 2%.

Sounds sensible.

Reply to
Peter Burke

Can't you get a telephone consultation with your GP? I've not seen my GP for two/three years but I've had several telephone consulations, some of them resulting in referrals to a local clinic when I needed to see someone.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Can you not get an e-consultation with your own doctor? I filled in an on-line form with my practice and attached photographs. That gives the doctor a chance to assess the seriousness of your condition and to decide whether a face to face appointment is required.

I certainly didn?t have to pay my own doctor for the consultation.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

"A high strength diclofenac gel (containing 3% diclofenac) is used to treat actinic keratoses (dry, scaly patches of skin caused by sun damage). This treatment is usually started after assessment by a dermatologist and is not covered here."

Looks like voltarol may not be as effective as it should be...

The real McCoy they will rape you for £109 including 'online consultation'

In a case like this I write to my GP, explaining the issue, he calls me back and leaves a prescription for me.

Can't you do the same?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Didn't know that, but the oddly named Bag Balm (which is basically a moisturiser) is also an effective treatment for actinic keratoses on the hands, as I found when I started using it for unrelated reasons. (No sniggering in the back).

Reply to
newshound

Why would you pay to see a doctor in the UK? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I don't think that it means the drugs are free

it means that the private doctor isn't charging you a prescription fee as well as a consultation fee

tim

Reply to
tim...

my doc will see you F2F if after the telephone appt they deem that appropriate

though for skin conditions they happily assess photos

Reply to
tim...