OT: Why can't a petrol engine start itself?

Newer than about 26 years old?

Make modeland year please.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yes and? It's not uncommon in this area to see a mid 70s or older truck on the road. Along with various newer models, including the newest stuff on the market.

No. I mis read what you wrote, Sorry. I tend to drive vehicles that have a considerable amount of age on them by the time I got them. So, I've had a few that certainly did make us of manual fuel pumps. I'm not young enough to have never seen or driven something that used one, in other words.

Clearly. As I said, I misread it.

They are still common in the 90s/early00s with some GM vehicles. Possibly other manufacturers as well. Infact, unless your vehicle is sporting independent injection with GM, it's probably throttle body injection.

Injection itself isn't exactly modern, they had menchanical versions of it a long long time ago. Well before my time on this earth, infact.

[g] I admire some of the designs, and the sturdy construction they appeared to be (I've seen a couple here) at car shows. And occasionally when the weathers warm, someone will drive one of their restored classics.

Vacuum driven?

I've seen one. [g]

Nice. I've got several friends older than myself that do the same thing. Several of them own their own repair shops.

Reply to
Diesel

GM's last carburetor was 1998 - and the last TBI from GM was 1993.

Reply to
Clare Snyder
[snip]

Sorry, but, no.

I've got a 2000 GM product with a 4.3L vortec and TBI.

Several of my chevy/gm friends also have rides mid 90s and newer that are sporting TBI based fuel delivery, not independent injection. That includes various s10s, blazerz, tahoes and a 2000 z71 along with a late 90s Sonoma (GMC version of an s10), it's TBI too. Along with a few mid to late 90s astro vans, one of which is the all wheel drive version (it drinks gas like theres no tomorrow) and they're all TBI too.

And we're not alone in this as you can see by the urls above, but, there's thousands more and parts you can buy for replacing your OEM ones, on your newer than 93 model GM product which still happens to be using TBI.

We do have one 95 blazer that's using the wonky spider injection system. It's a pile of shit.. bad bad design and still not literally an injector per cylinder. Also known as CPI injection. Or Central Port... I try to avoid these whenever possible when I'm hunting for something to drive.

Reply to
Diesel