OT: Why can't a petrol engine start itself?

I never looked too closely at the hose fitting assembly.

ttps://

That doesn't show the disassembled connector but it is some variation on this theme:

That's the same process we used on hydraulic hoses.

Reply to
rbowman

You find someone with a running tractor same as jump starting from another vehicle.

Reply to
rbowman

OK, how did they get the first one started? ;-)

Reply to
krw

It happens. I've known people who have had their battery explode when they've jump started the car.

Reply to
krw

Not even the vacuum between their ears.

Reply to
krw

From any running vehicle with air brakes. That's what the "gladhands" do.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Either it held enough air, or it had an electric starter, or it was aired up from an air compressor, or it was started with a nitrogen tank, co2 tank, or scuba tank.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Read the jump starting instructions in ANY owners' manual. They ALL specify to connect the negative to the chassis grond as the lat connection.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

20 dindus pushed it.
Reply to
rbowman

But how did that get there, daddy?

Reply to
krw

Sure, but who reads instructions? Even at that, it doesn't guarantee[*] that the battery won't explode but it does keep your face away from it when it does.

[*] Lessens the likelihood because it gets the spark away from the battery, though.
Reply to
krw

Virtually guarantees you won't blow up the battery unless you didn't make a good connection on the positive post

Reply to
Clare Snyder

There are no guarantees, virtual or otherwise.

Reply to
krw

in over 50 years of working with batteries and on cars I have seen numerous battey explosions - NONE of which involved a properly connected booster battery - several that involved an improper booster connection - and a few that were caused bu defective batteries (bad internal connection that arced under load, blowing the battery "spontaneously" without any external source of ignition, and one that I blew up from about 15 feet away when it was on charge and I was using a hand grinder.

You know not of what you speak.

'nuff said.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Because the almighty Clair hasn't seen it, it *never* happens. Got it.

You're wrong, of course.

I only wish.

Reply to
krw

rbowman posted for all of us...

Ok, a screwed on squash fitting.

Reply to
Tekkie®

rbowman posted for all of us...

Thanks, I didn't read the thread far enough, sorry.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

Yup, I didn't read or think far enough ahead...

Reply to
Tekkie®

They're at 1.1 bar.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Ayep. As I said though, I had a couple that didn't have electric fuel pumps.

Reply to
Diesel